What Do I need to Get a DVD Drive To Work in a G4?

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
The 400mhz ones.

My dad would like a dvd burner/cd burner.
What should I put in his machine? I heard there was some software that was required to get it running if it's not a "genuine" apple one.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I have never had the best experiences with OS X and external dvd burners, but it could be operator error on my part.

Well, as for software, nothing is required for the functioning of the drive within Mac OS X. And, if it's installed as an internal, nothing's required under Mac OS 9, either.

Beyond that, older versions of iLife (that is, pre '06) may balk at a third-party drive, but I believe they will let it pass if it's an internal.

Beyond that, what functionality is desired? That more than anything else is what dictates which specific program one needs.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Functionality: backing photos on CD.
Maybe playing dvds. Probably not even burning them for awhile. Oh and hey. Could a 400 mhz G4 with 768 RAM play dvds?

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I thought my smurf could play them, but I have had so many of those form factors of powermacs, it gets hard to remember. :)

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
The 400mhz ones.

My dad would like a dvd burner/cd burner.
What should I put in his machine? I heard there was some software that was required to get it running if it's not a "genuine" apple one.

Thanks in advance. :cool:
I bought a DVD burner from OWC and installed it in my Blue and White G3 Mac 400mhz tower, and it works great. No software needed under OSX. They have a very good online installation instruction.