What do I NEED to get on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pathfinder55, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

I would like to know what is the stuff you need to have on a new mac to make it run smooth. This Mac would be a iMac, probably, and it would be used for some gaming, but mostly alot of stuff like listening to music, watching tv shows/movies, reading email, and surfing the web.

So what do you think I need to have?

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Software? Hardware?

Apart from actually buying the games you want to play, your iMac (or any Mac) would have everything you need all ready to go. Hardware-wise, make sure it has lots of RAM -- 1 gig is a good starting point, 2 gigs is only a few bucks more (buy the chip separately and plug it in yourself). 3, 4 gigs is even better but you experience a diminishing rate of return with the more expensive chips.

Make sure you let Software Update run and install any updates it finds, as there will have been numerous minor software updates since the OS was loaded on the Mac at the factory.

Hardware-wise, I enjoy a cordless mouse, and a surge protector is obviously useful.

Beyond that, you really are good to go! People will chime in with their favourite utilities, Dashboard widgets, mail readers (if you don't like the built in Mail program), etc., but one nice thing about the Mac is that it really is set up with software you'll find useful and want to use. If you're new to Mac and coming from the Windows world of constant patches, service packs and optimization, this is a welcome breath of fresh air.