What do I need to hook a Kurzweil

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AP_piano295, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

    Mar 9, 2005
    What do i need to hook a pc-1x and an sp88x kurzweils into an ibook and gband?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    This is a two part question:

    1) How do I get SOUND from the keyboards into the Mac - this is AUDIO I/O
    2) How do I CONTROL the Mac from the keyboards (and the keyboards from the Mac)? This is MIDI I/O

    1) To get sound in and out of the iBook you can use the Audio In and headphone jacks, but you will get better quality by using an external USB or Firewire Analog/Digital audio interface. The Griffin iMic is the entry level, Edirol, M-Audio, Steinberg and others make more capable units. Price $50 - $2000 depending on number of channels and features

    2) To get MIDI control signals in and out of the Mac, you need a MIDI Interface, which is typically USB. MIDI doesn't carry any sound information, it carries data on note on/off timing and control values. Think of the paper roll in a player piano - MIDI carries the instructions to "play" the instrument.

    Sometimes, keyboards have USB ports for interfacing directly with a computer (the keyboard essentially ascts as a MIDI interface) however I dont think your 2 do. Again, Edirol and M-Audio have MIDI interface products, the Edirol UM1X is the cheapest http://www.edirol.com/products/info/um1sx.html

    also some of the audio interfaces from (1) will also have MIDI interface in the same product.
    The UA20 is a decent combo product http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua20.html
    the UA25 is even better

    Apple's fabled "Asteroid" product should be similar if/when it is released.

  3. johnnowak macrumors 6502

    Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
    Do not by M-Audio products if you can avoid it. If you need simple 2x2 MIDI, get a MOTU USB Fastlane.

Share This Page