What do I need to know about preparing for Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TheGreenBastard, May 5, 2015.

1. TheGreenBastard, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015

TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

What should I do/have to prepare myself for Apple Watch tomorrow?
    Can I download apps already in the Apple Watch app without pairing a Watch? I'm open to suggestions. I'll have the vodka, the green and munchies ready to go for when I unbox it and get my greasy fingers on it.

----------

:apple:

2. flur macrumors 68000

3. TheGreenBastard thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

might order garlic fingers too.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

All I did was watch the tutorial videos on their store site. And read some threads in this forum where people pass along tips and hints.

I did pair the watch to my IPhone straightaway. The first time I did it I let it install all my Apps (that could go onto the watch) onto the watch because I wasn't sure which would work and which wouldn't. As I tested them out, I deleted the duds.

At one point my contacts disappeared from my Watch mysteriously. To remedy that I unpaired the watch and phone. I rebooted the watch. Did a second pairing but this time manually configured which apps I wanted to go onto the watch. That's a simple matter of going down your list of apps that appear in the Watch app on the phone and sliding the sliding switch to the right for the ones you want. The ones you activate will install on your watch.

I learned by exploring the sub menus for notifications and seeing what each one did and testing them out. My husband and I sent messages and calls from our phones to the watch and vice versa. I'm not especially good with technology, so if I can get this thing to work well, it will be a piece of cake for most people.

Congrats and enjoy!

5. Rayban macrumors regular

Rayban

You can download apps now. You'll always have an app icon on your phone even if it's a watch only app. I made an Apple Watch folder to clean things up a bit. Hope this helps :)

6. Sophrosyne macrumors member

Be patient. There's a steep learning curve. Give it time and you'll be very happy.

7. keatth, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015

keatth macrumors 6502

1) Upgrade iOS to the latest

2) Select Favorite Contacts.

3) Add Photos to Favorite Contacts.

4) Clean up your Favorite Contacts info.

5) Create a New iTunes Playlist with up to 2GB of music you'd want to store.

6) Within iPhoto or Photos app, mark up to 75MB of photos as Favorites.

7) Clean up your Favorites with in the Maps application on the iPhone or Macintosh. The trick to making Favorites appear on the Mac is to click an empty search field, click Favorites, then click Favorites in the sidebar. While you're there, clear Recents.

8) Review the released Watch Apps and install the ones you want on your iPhone. Helpful hint: Pay attention to the icons below the watch face to see which apps have Glances and Notifications.

9) Teach Siri your relationships like "My Wife."

10) Unsubscribe to all the junk e-mails you get.

11) Rename music tracks with shorter names if they're very long (e.g. "Eine kleine Nachtmusik, Serenade in G major, K. 525: I. Allegro" could just be "Eine kleine Nachtmusik: Allegro").

12) Clear enough free space on your iPhone and/or iCloud so Watch backups are not problematic.

13) Go to Settings -> Notifications and disable every Notification you don't want. When you get the phone, you'll want to further trim the Noticiations that show up on the Watch.

8. TheGreenBastard thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

This is actually a really good list. Thank you.

9. Jrdn13crvr macrumors regular

So funny how no one read the OP's post in full...

10. flur macrumors 68000

Wow. That's an excellent list.

11. ogalli macrumors newbie

I like it only because the picture of Christopher Walken shows that basically we should stick it up our asses.