What do I need to list to sell my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frocco, Apr 27, 2012.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Hello,
    Last Year I purchased top of line iMac 27' and am thinking of selling to get a MBP.

Do I need to list the serial # and remaining Applecare?

Would you recommend ebay or craigslist?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you don't need to list the serial number. It may help to show how much AppleCare coverage is remaining. eBay seems to be a safer venue than Craigslist.

3. iCFX macrumors newbie

Also recommend eBay over Craigslist, its too dodgy over at Craigslist so Id try to avoid that (although eBay is not perfect either its better then most others).

Listing basic information such as your hardware specs and being honest about the machine is a good start.

Example:

• Apple iMac 2011 27"
    • CPU
    • RAM
    • GPU
    • HDD
    • OSX Version
    • Warranty if Any

But yes Serial is not needed unless the potential buyer requests it, which in that case you can provide them with the number if you wish so.

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Be detailed in your description. CPU, RAM, GPU details, any accessories. I suggest eBay as well.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Don't forget to state the condition (any scratches etc) and a picture or two would be great.

6. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

No scratches, but the screen does have dust behind it.
    Should I have apple clean it under warranty before I sell it or let the buyer know and have him clean it?

I take good care of my stuff as I am fussy.

I read on these forums that dust can get in because of the design.
    I ordered the max i7 2Tb and 8g ram with lion.

7. iCFX macrumors newbie

Yes I heard that there are few issues with some sort of grey/dust behind the screen of iMacs so if its still under warranty id just let it clean up since it will give better impression to the potential buyer.

The buyer might think there could be either more issues with it or just simply put him off for what ever the reason, or in other hand it might not effect his mindset of the purchase.

So yes up to you but id get it sort it first if possible. The potential buyer might not want to go through ''all the hassle".

8. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

How much will you ask for it? Remember e-bay you have several fee's, Craigslist is free.