What Do I Need To Open My MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, May 28, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I feel like an idiot, but I want to make sure I have the correct tools.

I am going to install a Momentus XT, and I need to open the unibody up.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Philips head screw driver, small, for the back panel and mounting bracket and a hex-head screw driver for the mounting screws.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

iFixit.com is your best source for this information.

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

To open the Back plate I used a 0.1 phillips. I haven't removed the HDD yet. But I MRoogled it and found that it takes a 2.0 hex to get the HDD screws out. I hope this helped?

5. jmdMac macrumors regular

I believe the tools are:

0 Phillips
    00 Phillips
    T-6 torque

Go to your local fred meyer, walmart, etc and they should have a set of small screwdrivers you need. Make sure they include the ones listed. Good luck!

6. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

I'm also interested in which tools are necessary.

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The key to remember is to use screwdivers that are not damaged from heavy prior use. They will leave ugly marks on the screwheads. The amount of torque to loosen the screws on your Mac is fairly high. So a proper fitting screwdriver in good condition is a must.

Good Luck :)

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1

9. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

+1 also

You only need the Phillips #00 and the T6 one.

I've done it twice these past two weeks, and it's very easy.

The most "difficult" part is actually to be gentle with the screws. Especially when screwing them back in when finishing up. Twist them the first part, and then be careful, when it's got a good grip. Do those last twists slowly, so you stop before you overscrew them and leave those nasty marks!

Good luck!

10. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Replacing precision, tiny machine screws is a bit of an art. A trick I always use is to put light pressure on the screw, screw it backwards (counterclockwise) until you hear or feel a tiny "click", then gently screw it properly (clockwise). This ensures you have the screws threads properly aligned. And generally, folks do more damage by overtightening than anything else. You want them snug but not tight.

I'm picky about this sort of thing, and have a very (VERY) good set of jewelers screwdrivers ($115 Swiss Bergeon for 8 drivers), but that's overkill for this job. I watchsmith as a side hobby.