What do i need to split?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salacious, Dec 9, 2011.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2011
    I have large files that i need to transfer to my fat32 harddrive... (had a windows at first) and i need to split my dmg files anyone know what i need to do this?
  2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    What version of Windows are you running? You may be able to transfer them if you use media formatted in exFAT if your windows computer is on windows 7.
  3. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2011
    i was saying that my HDD was formatted to windows (fat32) which macs cant transfer over 4gb or something like that, i only use my mac now thanks for the forum link, i did use the search function, but nothing came up :S
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I did not search that, I searched google because I remember seeing it once here before. I never knew, until I saw that thread, that you could split DMG files. To me, a DMG was like an EXE but I was clearly wrong.
  5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Jan 20, 2010
    It's an inherent limitation to FAT32, not a Mac vs FAT32. FAT32 doesn't support file sizes over 4 GB.
  6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

Aug 19, 2008
    The Anthropocene
    You wouldn't be able to reassemble your split files on the FAT32 HD, because, as mentioned above, the FAT32 filesystem does not support files larger than 4GB.

But, uhh, you could use the split command line utility...