What do I need to start programming for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Garryg, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Garryg macrumors newbie

I have an old iMac G3 with an older OS X. Can I use this to rum the programming apps or do I need an Intel based machine?
    If so what specifications?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. chown33 macrumors 604

None of the PowerPC Macs will be able to develop for any iOS device.

Any of the Intel-based Macs would suffice.

Whatever Mac you get, I suggest at least 2 GB RAM, and preferably 4. If you have only a few apps running at once, then 2 GB is fine. If you keep a lot of stuff active and flit between them, then go for 4.

Any other suggestions about specs are going to depend a whole lot on what your budget is, so please provide a range.

4. ArtOfWarfare, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I might be wrong, but I'm nearly certain you need an Intel Mac to be able to do anything as far as iPhone programming.

The switch from PPC to Intel was done a long time ago, you should be able to find original Intel Macs for pretty darn cheap now.

Here's an 2.0 GHz 17" Intel iMac on eBay, buy it now for $200 or make a bid for $150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac-...e_Desktops&hash=item1e66e65240#ht_1738wt_1125

G3, seriously? I think the iPhone 4 runs faster than the G3s did...

The minimum operating system for the computer you develop from is 10.5.2. The iMac in the above auction is listed as only having 10.4 installed, so you'd need to find a copy of Leopard somewhere... that, too, should be pretty easy to find cheap... I wouldn't imagine it's more than $10 to get...

Edit: Or maybe not... it might be cheaper to just buy Snow Leopard (10.6) because it looks like Leopard's price hasn't dropped at all since release... weird. Checking a few websites, it looks like the "upgrade" snow leopard disk will install to a mac running 10.4 just fine.

5. firewood macrumors 604

An Intel Mac running Snow Leopard or Lion is currently required to run the iOS SDK dev tools. Much older SDKs were reported to actually include PPC runnable code, but those old SDKs do not support any recent iOS devices.

A C2D or later Intel Mac may soon be required when the iOS SDK is updated for Lion only.

6. ViviUO macrumors 6502

You need an intel mac. Get a C2D minimum.

You also need a lot of time.

7. Garryg, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

Garryg thread starter macrumors newbie

It's actualy something someone asked about at work, so time isn't an issue (im a .net developer by the way!) just materials.

So if they fork out for the Intel hardware, the project could be a goer...
    Don't think they will buy new hardware for one app though, I can see this going external.

Thanks for all the help, just thought I'd ask before spending a lot of time looking into this.