What Do I Need To Transfer Pics?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by justme2, Dec 18, 2008.

1. justme2 macrumors newbie

I have a newSD Canon 750IS camera.

What do I need to buy to transfer pictures to my MacBook ?
    I appreciate any help. Please be specific, as this is all very new to me.

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Perhaps there's a usb cord in your camera box? Otherwise you'll need a usb SD card reader. You can find them in local stores for under $10. This package on Amazon is a good deal imo: 4GB card with reader $10 shipped

3. svndmvn Guest

I find it hard to believe it didn't come with a usb cord..
    anyway,software-wise you can either open the canon in disk mode,as it will probably appear on the desktop,or use iPhoto

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As mentioned, a USB cable likely came with your camera. Your camera should have a lever to put it into disc mode. Connect the camera to your Mac. iPhoto should launch automatically. Once it does, you simply click the import button and photos will be downloaded to your Mac. You will be given the choice to keep the images on the camera or delete them once they are imported.

You can find a video tour of iPhoto and other iLife applications here

http://www.apple.com/ilife/

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

AFAIK, all the Canon's should come with the requisite USB cable. Just plug it in, turn it on, and unless you've changed prefs, iPhoto will automatically launch and display whatever's on the camera. If it doesn't, then after connecting and powering the camera, manually launch iPhoto, it'll still see the camera. Click the "Import" button on the lower right and choose to keep the photos on the camera or erase. Voila!

6. justme2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks To All

What a great board you have here.The replies are very helpful.Can't open the camera till Christmas, so I'll be using the info then.
    I was under the impression that a card in the camera could be inserted in MacBook to transfer pics.
    Now I see there's no slot for a card.Thanks again, I appreciate it.PL

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually that camera does have a slot for Secure Digital flash cards. This page of the Let's Go Digital review deals with the memory card usage with the camera.

When using a card, you can certainly pull it out and insert it in card reader to transfer pics in addition to just using the USB cable as mentioned in previous posts. :)

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is my understanding that Canon does not support USB Automount (disc mode). However, iPhoto should work. Also, the SD card may be inserted into a card reader after which USB Automount and iPhoto will both work.

9. fishcove Guest

You don't need to buy anything, and you don't need to install any of the software that comes with the camera

- Leave the memory card in the camera.
    - Connect to your MacBook using the USB cable that comes with the camera.
    - Turn camera on in Playback mode.
    - Wait for iPhoto to start and complete its scan of the pictures on the camera/card
    - Click Import All...

iPhoto will ask you if you want to delete the images from the camera after import. I prefer to leave them and delete them in the camera itself, but either will work.

10. justme2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just Learning

Thanks again for the specific info.Can't wait to use the camera & play around with getting pics on IPhoto.Have printed all the info & will let you know how it goes. PL

11. justme2 thread starter macrumors newbie

It Works....

Followed your directions & worked great in IPhoto.Tomorrow,I want to see if it works on the Windows side.BTW.......love this camera. Very user friendly,small & light weight.Thanks for taking time to reply,PL

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

a standard USB cable will do, Mac's arnt aliens