What do I need to use KRK RP5 G2 Rokit speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidnssbm, Aug 1, 2010.

1. davidnssbm macrumors regular

I'm confused whether I can just plug these into my imac, or if I need an interface like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B00154KSA2/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

(or if you recommend any other ones)

Thank you!

Also, what cables do I need and do they come with the speakers? I'm looking at this deal:

http://www.amazon.com/KRKRP5-Powere...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1280670372&sr=8-4

I can't tell if the XLR are just a bonus for music artists to record, or if I will use them to hook up the speakers?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

all you need is a 3.5mm male (like what's on the end of standard headphones) to male RCA

Like this from monoprice, although you can get the same from amazon, or at your local electronics store.

there are other lengths available on that site, or you could use a 3.5mm male to stereo female RCA, and get male to male RCA cables to go to your speakers.

3. davidnssbm thread starter macrumors regular

thank you. BTW how come I see some people talking about TRS cables when referring to these monitors?

4. davidnssbm thread starter macrumors regular

wait, wont RCA downgrade the quality of these speakers which are supposed to be amazing?

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

The XLR connections are for balanced connections, which have less noise if using longer cables. The unbalanced RCA connection will be just fine for most users though and that's what you can get out of your Mac.

Also notice that the monitors don't have a single volume control but both speakers have their own. You're supposed to control the volume from your computer and this can cause problems with things like system sounds which may be too loud if you're not careful with the volume.

6. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey. . .was just wondering how this works. . . there's one headphone port on the iMac.

Two monitors? Who does that work?

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

stereo headphone jack.

8. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

So. . . One of the RCA's into one speaker. . .the other into the other speaker. . .the 3.5mm into the mbox mini 3.5mm jack? :)

Thanks.