What do I need to use my Vizio HDTV as my monitor for a 15" PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by homestead80, Jan 13, 2009.

1. homestead80 macrumors newbie

Just purchased the new TV and would like to use it as monitor for my laptop. I'm running 10.4.11 on a 15" Powerbook What exactly will I need to connect the two? The TV has every input I've ever heard of. I also would like to know if there is anyway to connect a Sony Handycam DVD DVR308 to be used as a webcam. I have an iSight that has very poor quality (slow, jerky, pixelated) I know there are no drivers for this Sony cam to be used on Macs. But was hoping there was some work around that would let it be my webcam. If it means more cables, that's ok. If it would be cheaper to buy a miniDV cam, I guess I'll just have to start saving my pennies. If you have any suggestions as to a modestly priced but decent quality one, I'd love to hear about it. Please be gentle in your responses because I am VERY ignorant when it comes to the names and types of cables. I know the diff between USB and Firewire, but other than that, I'm just lost.
    Thanks for readying my post.
    Margaret

2. techie4life macrumors 6502

Chances are, you PowerBook has two video output ports, a DVI and an S-Video. The DVI port is going to be the larger of the two, it is rectangular, with a lot of holes. The S-Video port is round and rather small. This cable (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR843LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MjQzNDE0MQ) should do just the trick. It's DVI to HDMI, but should be your cleanest signal. There is also a 6 ft. length available if you don't need a full 12 ft. Someone correct me I am wrong, but that cable should be compatible with your PowerBook. As far as the camcorder goes, hooking it up via FireWire won't allow any control of the actual camera? If the camera isn't compatible with iMovie, than someone else will have to pitch in here. I hope some of that helps. Good luck!

3. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

As long as it has a dvi port on his PowerBook. I use the exact cable to connect my MacBook pro to my Vizio tv. It works great.

4. homestead80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thank you both for the information. Guess I'll be ordering that cable *S* I appreciate you taking the time to answer and not making me feel like an idiot. I've had Macs since my first Performa about 13 years ago and the change to the OSX was one I fought until both my old iMacs CRTs got to the point they were just really nice paperweights. Even now, I'm still having a lot of trouble unlearning some old things and trying to learn the new ones. I used to use the apple discussion groups but now when I try to find out something there, most replies make me feel like I should just go back to a typewriter and corded phone. *L* As for the webcam/Sony DVD handycam, there IS no firewire port, just USB. I know, I know..please don't throw things at me.. but my husband really liked the ease of it. I guess I'll just have to save my pennies and get a cheap miniDV camcorder that this thing will recognize to put any vids on the net for my family to see. The iSight is ok for chatting, but that's about it. ANYway, thanks again for the information and the courteous replies.

Margaret

PS. Got the cable and all is right in my world! Thanks again