What do I need?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CarbonImage, Oct 8, 2013.

1. CarbonImage macrumors newbie

CarbonImage

Hi guys, long time lurker, very rare poster.
    I recently on a whim decided to sell my 15" MacBook Pro which I was using at my desk hooked up to a 32" display. I was fed up of disconnecting all my peripherals any time I wanted to go anywhere with it, and then reconnecting everything. Also, I'm one of those people that just likes to change it up quite often. I've now bought a MacBook Air, which will be my portable machine. My plan was to run a Mac Mini as a file server that I can access on my Air, but also use as my main machine. However I've been looking at 2nd hand iMacs and wondering if it's worth the extra cash? What confuses me is they seem to have lower spec for more money (i5 vs. i7).

I will be using it for almost everything, Photoshop, InDesign, Logic, Final Cut, the works. Final Cut less than the rest but still as a hobby now and again. Mainly Logic and Photoshop really.

TL;DR - I need a powerful machine to possibly run as a file server.

Option 1: Mac Mini 2012 2.3GHz i7, 4GB RAM (Upgraded to 16GB from Crucial)
    Option 2: iMac 21.5" Mid 2011, 2.5 or 2.7 Quad i5, 12+ GB RAM (Whatever comes in it plus whatever I can afford from Crucial)

I have £700 left over after buying the Macbook Air. I'd rather not spend much more but if it's worth it I can wait a couple of months to stretch further. I don't need the computer immediately but would like it sooner than later. Also if I get the Mini I will probably get a secondary monitor later, but it's not that important right away.

Sorry for all the writing, thanks if you can help!

:D :apple: :D

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

If you already have a display, just get the Mini. iMacs cost more because it's an all in one machine, which is not what you need, from what I gather.

3. JCPH macrumors member

+1. Especially since you don't need the all-in-one, I'd go with the 2.3GHz i7 over the 2.5/2.7GHz i5.

4. ChrisWV10 macrumors newbie

Agree.

You've already got a 32" display (as opposed to the 21.5" imac)
    2011 imac is 2+ yrs old

But I'd hang on for the 22nd to see if there's an update to the mini forthcoming.

C. :)