What do I use for 5.1?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by wizwaz3, Apr 9, 2007.

1. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I imagine many of you have heard this before, but what kind of program do I use to create 5.1 audio files? I want to dabble and see what I can come up with. I didn't find anything on here, so I'm sorry if I just didn't look hard enough. Any help is appreciated. :)

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not a lot of 5.1 discussion here, because nobody mixes music for it as a listening experience. or are you thinking of scoring a film?

5.1 is kind a big deal to set up, as i understand it, so i don't know how easy it would be to dabble.

3. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Yeah, I just want to experiment. I've read that there are programs that have multiple channels, and I figured maybe somebody could point one out. I just want to experiment with placing a tracks in different speakers and stuff. If it can't be done, no biggie, just wondering.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it can be done, sure, i'm just saying that i don't recall anyone 'round here mixing to 5.1. Who knows, maybe someone has and they'll pop in with some help.

i'm fairly certain Digital Performer does 5.1, and i reckon quite a few other programs do as well.

if you do get something going, you should report back on it.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Generally the 'big' DAW software can mix 5.1 (or 7.1) - Logic Pro, Cubase, Nuendo, Digital Performer.

Generally, surround mixing is one of the features you lose when you drop to the less expensive Lite or SE or Studio versions.

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

zimv,

I agree it's pretty rare, but there are some DTS CDs out there, which contain 5.1 surround sound on regular CD media. I have a few of them, and actually enjoy listening to them in my home theater.

- Martin

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're right, "nobody" was too strong. for 2007, i'll stay with "few".

and hey, a few people still have quadraphonic setups :)

8. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

The current Pro Tools and Logic versions can do up to 7.1 or 7.2, I believe. But these will just give you the final product of individual tracks for each channel. (Ex. a 5.1 project will give you 6 individual files, when it's all bounced.)

A DVD-Video creation program would then have to take those tracks and encode them to a 5.1 ac3 stream for the disc. So if you are working on audio for a 5.1 project, you can do it all in Logic or Pro Tools, hearing it in that program only in 5.1, then bounce the individual channels to give to the Final Cut editor.

Dolby has recently announced software (OS X only) that lets you decode an ac3 stream. So you can open up the 5.1 streams from a DVD and get the individual channels. I saw them demo this at the GDC in San Fran in March. I can't remember the release date or any other info. But it is probably pricey.

BT's Binary Universe is a 24bit/5.1 dvd. It's pretty cool!

And I think windows media (I know, bleh!) has a 5.1 lossy codec.

Ok enough randomisms from me for the moment...

9. cschreppel macrumors regular

Only Pro Tools HD can do this - don't think most people want to shell out $10k for that though :)

I know Logic Pro can handle it, don't know about Logic Express though.