Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Today I began making a backup of half my dvd collection (since the other half was stolen) and I used mac the ripper to rip the files to my harddrives, but now I am stuck on how to burn it back to dvd. I was told handbrake does the job but I see no option on here to burn it back to a regular dvd. Another post I read said use Roxio but I wanted to get some clarification before I drop $80 on roxio.

To clarify these are DVDs I purchased and I used to make backup copies in case of scratches etc and I stopped (regrettably) until the other night when half of my movies (about 200) went missing. Now I will be backing up the other half and sending them to my house in case this ever happens again.

Serge N Gin

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Australia
Today I began making a backup of half my dvd collection (since the other half was stolen) and I used mac the ripper to rip the files to my harddrives, but now I am stuck on how to burn it back to dvd. I was told handbrake does the job but I see no option on here to burn it back to a regular dvd. Another post I read said use Roxio but I wanted to get some clarification before I drop $80 on roxio.

To clarify these are DVDs I purchased and I used to make backup copies in case of scratches etc and I stopped (regrettably) until the other night when half of my movies (about 200) went missing. Now I will be backing up the other half and sending them to my house in case this ever happens again.

I don't have Toast but AFAIK, ffmpegX can create the audio t_s and video t_s folders/files necessary for DVD playback .... you can use Finder to burn to disc.

I don't know, however, whether or not you need Toast in order for a standalone DVD player to auto-play the burnt disc.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
You can use disc utility to burn the discs but I would be surprised if the macthe ripper files are less than a single-sided dvd or are you using double-layer dvd's ?

Toast is probably the easiest, simplest software to use when burning but try Toast 8 rather than the recently released (buggy) Toast 9.

If the files are larger than single layer dvd's (4.38G) then Toast will compress (with loss of quality) to fit on single layer.

jlynnm628

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
any other suggestions beside toast?

I have heard mixed reviews about toast and it is kind of expensive. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a compression and burning program or just a compression? Will visual hub work to compress? I have mac the ripper to rip if I use visual hub to convert/compress could i then use my finder window to burn?

jlynnm628

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
how visual hub burns

Where is the option? I have never noticed a way to burn dvd although it does convert to dvd format. Can i put a blank location as the destination folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.