What do people on the streets think about 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yummyporky, Jul 2, 2008.

1. yummyporky macrumors newbie

People were interviewed as they were walking in or out of an Apple Store, they were all asked what do they think of the 3G iPhone :D

http://blip.tv/file/1045088

ADD: one of the people interviewed is an Apple engineer, a couple of them works in that Apple store

2. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

Non-tech savvy idiots.... You would think that these people do not leave their cave. My mother even knows what 3g is.

3. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

yikes! makes you wonder...at what times did they stand outside the store to get this data...and for how long.

School field trip?... :)

4. Sherb macrumors member

This is why i wish it still cost $600. Because i know what I'm buying. Kids will buy it for the "coolness" factor now that it's $200.

Oh well :D

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

there are no words...these people need help - that or I need a life....

6. nyquist11 macrumors member

I know people "kids" that got it at 600 like 4 weeks ago, for that factor. ...cant remember if i told them to wait...:confused::D

7. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Man, I thought they were just going to ask people randomly and find out people don't even know what an iPhone is let alone 3G. But looked like this was done in front of an Apple store.

But based off this, it makes me realize again how small a number it is of people that go on to forums online and waste our day looking at every single fact. Not that it's bad to know what you are buying, it's just that the average person is 20 steps behind. Especially if it's techy stuff. Like I'm sure if you asked someone off the street what an HD-DVD is, they'd probably say, isn't that Blu-ray? Which would already be impressive in itself if they knew Blu-ray meant HD.

8. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I don't think price will scare most kids away. I mean the iPod has always been expensive but popular. Though, the lower space would scare a lot of kids away if they can't store their 100gig+ illegal song collection.

9. yummyporky thread starter macrumors newbie

Every kid interviewed wanted one, they only thing that was stopping them is the price, one kid interviewed had his parents with him and when the mom heard the price is now 199, she said she would consider it if the kid did well in school

Episode 2 is coming soon

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That was really sad, however, I have heard people in my school talk about it that way too.

"Yeah it's 3G"
    "What does that mean"
    "It means it has 3 gigabytes of storage"
    "Is that a lot?"
    "I don't know..."

11. yummyporky thread starter macrumors newbie

we were out there for two and half hours, we had 90 minutes of footage, Episode 2 is coming soon

12. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

well... great video.

its bit of a double edged sword.

You will end up being in line with one of those idiots who doesnt even know why they are in line which makes the line a lot longer

and

you will have bunch of idiots walking around with the new iPhone 3G that doesnt even know what they have in their hand.

13. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

im just waiting for, on the day, something like;

"WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS???, i think i got a broken one"

14. alFR macrumors 68020

At a guess, the engineer was the guy in the grey t-shirt whose mother calls him during the interview? However, I'd be hard pressed to spot the 2 Apple Store employees amongst the general morass of cluelessness.

</me weeps quietly>

15. Badgerguy macrumors member

That's very funny stuff, but it just goes to show that there can still be a divide between the people who have their finger on the pulse when it comes to technology, and those who don't. This is true for the technology of many different companies though, not just Apple.

Of course, we're talking about a phone that isn't out yet - when the 3G is released, and the iPhone 2.0 software becomes available, you're going to have a whole hell of allot of users out there showing off all the stuff they can do with their phone (including I suspect, functionality provided by 3rd parties that will add to the value of the device). Then we'll see the iPhone's popularity grow from word-of-mouth.

--
    BG

16. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

"the masses" don't buy things because they think it's cool...they buy things because other people tell them it's cool. come on now, we all know this. hurray for iphone elitists!

17. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Uh?

Just give your provider $600 as a payment, maybe you'll feel better!

18. Sherb macrumors member

It's not the long term price people see. It's the "How much does it cost me today".

19. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Ah ha, I understand.

Genius marketing though? If the kids that you talk about see it as cheap, well, that's their problem right?

I think it's daft too, but the shareholders won't.

20. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

great idea though...

We did an experiment in college where several of us sat in fastfood parking lots and simply took data:
    # of people that went into the store
    (# that left without ordering & # that left a satisfied customer)

# that pulled into the drive through
    (# that continued through the drive through & the # that backed out)

Let's just say...the service was sooo bad at the fastfood chain that my group was assigned, that they lost more customers than they had successful orders. Someone even hopped over the concrete curb to get out of the drive through.

What I'm getting at is...
    It would be interesting to be able to follow up after the release to see people's views when they can actually take home the product.

:)
    Great job guys!

21. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i feel sorry for those people that they were recorded. :eek:

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, quick!

Which one of you can tell me which popular foods have recently reduced their trans-fat content, and with what are they replacing it with?

Surely you know...after all, what you put in your body is certainly more imporant than downloading a website 3 times faster on a cell phone. And since you're all so information-savy I'm sure you'll have no problem answering.

Or maybe...JUST MAYBE... People have different interests and hobbies and spend more time learning about the things they like. And PERHAPS knowing a lot about one particular thing doesn't mean you're smarter than people who spend their time learning about other particular things.

EDIT: I'm not dissing the video. I thought it was pretty funny and look forward to seeing the follow-up. But I think it's important to remember that we're no different than these people, they just have different hobbies than we do. If anything, I think the video is a great commentary on Apple marketing and hype and how Steve Jobs can make trivial things seem world-chaning when really, most of the world really doesn't care. And I say this as someone who hangs on every word that comes out of Steve's mouth and watches every speech he makes. But it's nice to keep things in perspective.

23. Kupe macrumors member

In my experience, that video looks like a documentary on the tech-awareness of the average iPhone user. Those folks are right in the sweet spot of a large portion of Steve Jobs' targeted users: semi-Luddite, excess income, attracted to shiny objects, worshipers of pop-culture. Most of the iPhone owners I know today fit that description. :(

Who cares if they don't know what 3G is? The fact that so many of them purchase the phone help keep its cost down. :)

24. yummyporky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, spread the word

25. yummyporky thread starter macrumors newbie

I like to think so, all of them were interviewed as they were walking in and out of the Apple Store and most of them are using a 1st Gen iPhone already

Thanks for liking the video, spread the word = )