What do to with old macbook I dont use?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hallaisen, Jul 10, 2009.

1. hallaisen macrumors regular

Hey,

I bought the 1gen macbook when it came out, but upgraded to a MBP last summer. Ever since, the old macbook has just been collecting dust, and so Ive started thinking maybe I can find a use for it? Maybe as a media center or something like that? I cant really think of a cool way to use it , so figured id ask for tips here.

cheers.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sell on craigslist, and get a mini?

Or use it straight as a media center.

The app you need is PLEX.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Put it up on Craigslist like mentioned but barter it for a Mac Mini C2D.

Or you can give it to me :p.

4. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Heck, I'll take it off your hands for you...

5. excommie macrumors regular

what shape is it in? Are you willing to sell it? How much you want for it?
    Do you have the magsafe power adapter that is working? Also, do you have full specs? Pm me, I might buy it.
    Thanks.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd keep it as a backup, especially since your mbp probably has the nvidia 8600 graphics card; you may end up needing it. :(

7. hallaisen thread starter macrumors regular

the notebook itself is in ok shape i think...it started working really slowly and would sometimes hang, but i had it for a long time and never ran onyx on it so i think that doing that will take care of the problems..i dont want to sell it though, sorry..i guess it has a future as a mediacenter...thanks..

plex seems good...how do i actually set this stuff up tho? i guess i should try to use it with my tv? ive got a 46" samsung lcd..will i be able to use the old macbook with this one? any other recommendations?

8. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Can't you repackage and clean it and give it to your mum or siblings as a present?

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Since a mini and a macbook share all the same parts (except a screen and keyboard) just shuffled around in a different form factor, your macbook should make just as great of a Media Center PC as my old mini did. You just have to find a different location in your media center to place it so that it blends in as well! :D

My old mini is hooked into a smaller lcd tv in a bedroom using the DVI to VGA adapter that the mini shipped with to connect. My TV doesn't have DVI and this solution was quicker than ordering a DVI to HDMI cable. The video looks great even using VGA. I reinstalled Leopard and created a non-administrator account that auto-logs in and has Plex in its login items. I dug out the Apple remote (that was still shipped with the mini back then) and use that to control Plex. I also run MythTV (a DVR application) and have an item in Plex that can start MythTV as well. I also have an item in Plex that can start Front Row (even though Plex can mostly duplicate everything that Front Row does). I do have a NAS that holds my media. The mini and macbook don't have a huge amount of disk space to hold things like movies.