what do u use to type stuff up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x Shadow Dragon, May 23, 2007.

1. x Shadow Dragon macrumors regular

What do u use to type stuff up such as word u know what im saying

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

3. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Well, there is TextEdit which I use occasionally, but most of the time I use NeoOffice. Yes, I think I know what you are saying. ;)

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I take notes in class with Pages, but use NeoOffice if I need true Word compatibility, or more advanced features :)

5. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

im asking this because textedit looks like crap...:cool:

Edit- NeoOffice looks good is it free?

6. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Yes, NeoOffice is free. It is very good considering it's free. TextEdit is a very basic, cut to the chase program. It was all I used when I first got my Mac and before I heard about NeoOffice. NeoOffice is a very good office suite with many more options. Give it a try, you'll probably like it.

7. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Also, Neo Office is just an aquafied version of Open Office.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Is there any particular requirement you need your word processor (that's what it's called) to have? Does it have to be MS Office compatible? Will you be sending attachments with it? Do you have special needs, such as certain formats or the like?

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not really...an aquafied OpenOffice is in the works though...NeoOffice is usually around one update behind, and it is a little slower than OpenOffice will be, as it uses Java :)

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I use textedit, it's simple, fast and gets the job done. It's not like I need a program like NeoOffice J to take notes and type up homework.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Word, because I know where everything is and need to transfer files, etc.. Plus, in my short experience of other office suites, it is simply better (albeit bloated and it habit of sticking out like a sore thumb graphically).

12. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Depends what im typing up - For notes, I'll use TextEdit. Code, I'll use TextMate. Projects or papers i need to hand in? NeoOffice. Group project? SubEthaEdit
    It only uses Java for it's UI - Everything else is still OpenOffice's C/C++ code :)

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It is the usage of Java that makes it slow to open, which a true aquafied OpenOffice will fix :)

14. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Yup, but according to NeoOffice's Wiki Page, It's to much of an effort to port it over to Cocoa interface and wont be done anytime soon.

15. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

16. operator macrumors regular

I use text edit for all simply text documents, and inDesign for making prettier text documents

17. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Pages yet. I like it for making simple graphically-intense documents (flyers, posters, etc.) that I am sending out to friends and family. The templates make me look like a champ. The rest of the time in OS X I use Word for compatibility's sake, and to talk better with my machine at work (XP).

edit: just saw pyschofreak's post... :eek:

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i used to use word, but losing the disk prevented me from installing it on my macbook. so i now use pages. it was cheap, $39.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I use TeXShop and the LaTeX typesetting language. Outputs directly to pdf, which means if I send it to a computer without $200 software installed, they can read it for free. Not to mention it's more professional and better looking than MS word.

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I meditate and words leap out of my head and directly onto paper.

Other times, I dictate to my assistant, who types all my forum posts for me. RedTomato is a theiving hungry bastard who doesn't pay me enough

<smack>

RedTomato is nice kind person.

<thats better>

Some deaf students sign their essays to videotape, and send it off to a transcriber to translate it and type it up in english.

22. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If what I need contains any kind of equations or symbols (most of the things I type) then I use TexShop as a front end for LaTex. For anything else, like letters, I use Word unless it's a quick note, in which case I use TextEdit.

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

Word, Pages, TextMate, SubEthaEdit, LaTeX (yessss!!! :D) in no particular order.

For the OP...maybe you should look into http://www.smileonmymac.com/textexpander/ cause you sure like to use "u" a lot in a thread about document creation and editing... ;)

24. buffalo macrumors 65816

Microsoft Word exclusively; works perfectly for everything I might need.

25. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I wrote my research paper in textedit this year.