What do we think "high quality" video means and how much space will it eat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boymom75, Jun 10, 2009.

1. boymom75 macrumors member

And how much space will it take up? My flip minoHD holds 60 minutes of 720p video on 4gb of flash memory. Have they said how much memory the new iphone videos will take up? And how do you think the quality will compare? Has apple given any stats?

Trying to decide if I made a mistake ordering the 16g iphone vs. the 32g. I currently have a first gen. 8g phone, and I don't carry all my music around with me by any means (typically about 300 songs max), so 16g "seems" like plenty.

2. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Just get a 32 GB. Be on the safe side. =). I need 32 Gigs bad. And if I do get the 3GS... I'm going to be taking A LOT. of videos... -__-

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I hope the video quality will be good, I'm going with the 32gb just in case, it's $100 more, for double the space, you can't go wrong with that! :)

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I currently have a 16g iPhone, and I was all set on getting the 16g iPhone again, and I didn't even consider the fact that the new phone could record video and that it would more likely take up some space.

so for the extra $100, id rather be safe and get 32g.

5. boymom75 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, but I wasn't asking for which phone to get, but rather, any specs on the new video, storage requirements, etc. So I decide based on that.

6. aerospace macrumors 6502a

While watching the keynote I wondered if the phone was fully charged and empty, what would run out first, the battery or the space while recoding video.

I would guess the battery, havent seen any specs on the video quality I'm guessing 640x320

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

the iphone records VGA (640x480) video at 30fps

8. boymom75 thread starter macrumors member

so what does that mean in terms of storage for, say a ten minute video? Any idea?

9. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

if they're using H.264 codec ( which they probably will ) then you can really squeeze a lot of video for a small amount of space without losing too much quality, especially at VGA res, you'll be fine. :)

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is a wild guess, but I'm guessing it will be around 800 kbps.

That would work out to about 350 MB per hour of video.

Or, if you prefer: 1 GB will hold 2.8 hours of video.

That's a good starting place, but I could be off by up to 50% either up or down. But I bet I'm within 50%...so somewhere between 400 kbps and 1200 kbps.

EDIT: Also remember, with MPEG4 (H.264) the data rate depends on how complex the scene is and how much movement there is. So 1 minute of shooting a coin on a table will take up less space than 1 minute of a basketball game. So even if my guess is right, your results will vary.

11. redman042 macrumors 68020

We currently have an SD Flip video camera that records the same rez, but with a fixed lens. I'm fully expecting the iPhone to take nicer video, especially with that uber-fast processor which should do a great job encoding and decoding the files.

12. boymom75 thread starter macrumors member

I have a flip mino HD video camera. 720p. Do you think the iphone will be better quality than that?

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

No. iPhone does VGA.

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

The brief clip Gizmodo managed to upload before Apple dropped the hammer and made them delete it (and the post) was apparently pretty poor quality. I think that was just the uploaded version, not the one stored on the phone. It doesn't surprise me that AT&T would throttle back the bitrate of a YouTube upload, just like they do with downloads (playing Youtube videos). In fact I'd expect uploads to be more throttled since there is far less upload bandwidth than download bandwidth.

But my hope is they'll vastly increase the bitrate when you're on wifi.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

16. boymom75 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe one day I'll understand what you just said. :)

17. redman042 macrumors 68020

In a nutshell:
    • When Gizmodo uploaded a video from the 3G S over the cell network (at WWDC), it looked like crap.
    • Hopefully when on wifi, there will be much less compression and it will look far better.

So you will likely want to have a Wifi connection whenever possible to upload videos. Pretty much the same as watching videos on a 3G now.