What do y'all think about edge-to-edge screens with virtual bezels?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I like the comforting reassurance of a physically "clicky" home button, so I don't know where that would be placed on an edge-to-edge screen.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
I like the comforting reassurance of a physically "clicky" home button, so I don't know where that would be placed on an edge-to-edge screen.
with consumer screen technology not possible yet to have edge-to-edge screen in that size.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The ipad may be the ugliest consumer hit ever. I can't see this form factor not evolving in the next 5 years. Some sort of edge to edge form factor with a non capacatative bezel is a good bet

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
That's what I'm looking forward to!!! Hopefully we see that in a couple of years.

That would make the 7.85 iPad the size of the Kindle e-readers, which is right at the maximum convenient size for a portable handheld device. It could even have room for one narrow end bezel to accommodate the the home button and frontside camera.

The 9.7 iPad would of course not ever really benefit much from reduced size, or no bezels. That size will always be a two hander "destination" device. Bezels just suit and aid it's ham-fisted style of operation.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't see this being possible anytime soon. How would you hold the device without accidentally pressing any buttons? The bezel is there for a reason, and not just for looks.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I don't see this being possible anytime soon. How would you hold the device without accidentally pressing any buttons? The bezel is there for a reason, and not just for looks.
It should be pretty easy to detect and ignore a "wraparound" touch -- pretty much D shaped, with the flat part at the edge.

The model of the large bezel-less iPad above shows how that wouldn't work for the larger sizes, where you pretty much need to grab it by the side.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
First of all, it's time to get rid of that home button and move to on-screen buttons. Get with the times, Apple. :T

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I would not want my hand to be partially blocking the screen that I'm trying to look at. Bezels prevent this from happening.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I would not want my hand to be partially blocking the screen that I'm trying to look at. Bezels prevent this from happening.
Again, that would be another 9.7" problem -- not really a 7.85" issue except for those with really small hands (kids).

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I don't see the point, your hand obscures the content when holding it. It would have to be very light to not have to grip it too much.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Why would any company use such a design in the first place?
The way we hold a tablet requires a bezel. Unless a better way to handle it gets introduced, I don't see that happening. I want full control over my device, and that also means I want areas I can touch without messing around with controls.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I think edge to edge screen would be amazing, hope Apple does this in the future. How it should work is;

there should be a gesture, button or something (like double tapping with 3 fingers or something idk) and that would activate a virtual bezel, reducing the active screen size to create a virtual bezel that just don't do anything, that's just there for the looks so you can hold it and use it like the iPad that is now.(imagine the possibilities, different types of bezels, colors, patterns) and when you are in a position where you don't want the bezel (like watching a movie or browsing in a special position where you don't need to hold it) you can make that gesture again to make the screen active from edge to edge, gives you more screen real estate. So the iPad would have a 11-12" edge-to-edge screen and when you activate the virtual bezel it would go down to 9.7" or optionally you could select the size of the bezel. So you can watch movies or play games at 12" and if you want to hold it you can get it down to 9.7 also. Additional virtual buttons could be added to bezels also. I think the possibilities are endless.

It would be really awesome. However i can't think of any solutions for the front facing camera.