What do y'all think about edge-to-edge screens with virtual bezels?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I like the comforting reassurance of a physically "clicky" home button, so I don't know where that would be placed on an edge-to-edge screen.

2. sineplex macrumors 6502

with consumer screen technology not possible yet to have edge-to-edge screen in that size.

3. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

The ipad may be the ugliest consumer hit ever. I can't see this form factor not evolving in the next 5 years. Some sort of edge to edge form factor with a non capacatative bezel is a good bet

4. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm looking forward to!!! Hopefully we see that in a couple of years.

That would make the 7.85 iPad the size of the Kindle e-readers, which is right at the maximum convenient size for a portable handheld device. It could even have room for one narrow end bezel to accommodate the the home button and frontside camera.

The 9.7 iPad would of course not ever really benefit much from reduced size, or no bezels. That size will always be a two hander "destination" device. Bezels just suit and aid it's ham-fisted style of operation.

5. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I don't see this being possible anytime soon. How would you hold the device without accidentally pressing any buttons? The bezel is there for a reason, and not just for looks.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Rear sensors could sense that you are holding the tablet rather than making a selection.

7. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

It should be pretty easy to detect and ignore a "wraparound" touch -- pretty much D shaped, with the flat part at the edge.

The model of the large bezel-less iPad above shows how that wouldn't work for the larger sizes, where you pretty much need to grab it by the side.

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

First of all, it's time to get rid of that home button and move to on-screen buttons. Get with the times, Apple. :T

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would not want my hand to be partially blocking the screen that I'm trying to look at. Bezels prevent this from happening.

10. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Again, that would be another 9.7" problem -- not really a 7.85" issue except for those with really small hands (kids).

11. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I don't see the point, your hand obscures the content when holding it. It would have to be very light to not have to grip it too much.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Why would any company use such a design in the first place?
    The way we hold a tablet requires a bezel. Unless a better way to handle it gets introduced, I don't see that happening. I want full control over my device, and that also means I want areas I can touch without messing around with controls.

13. nofunsir macrumors member

nofunsir

Cost-prohibitive/impossible to manufacture these days.

14. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

I think edge to edge screen would be amazing, hope Apple does this in the future. How it should work is;

there should be a gesture, button or something (like double tapping with 3 fingers or something idk) and that would activate a virtual bezel, reducing the active screen size to create a virtual bezel that just don't do anything, that's just there for the looks so you can hold it and use it like the iPad that is now.(imagine the possibilities, different types of bezels, colors, patterns) and when you are in a position where you don't want the bezel (like watching a movie or browsing in a special position where you don't need to hold it) you can make that gesture again to make the screen active from edge to edge, gives you more screen real estate. So the iPad would have a 11-12" edge-to-edge screen and when you activate the virtual bezel it would go down to 9.7" or optionally you could select the size of the bezel. So you can watch movies or play games at 12" and if you want to hold it you can get it down to 9.7 also. Additional virtual buttons could be added to bezels also. I think the possibilities are endless.

It would be really awesome. However i can't think of any solutions for the front facing camera.