Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
3 things are VERY important.

1) Phone....keep in contact, call anyone you need to. Find of weird because your waiting for a phone.

2) Entertainment. Either a GameBoy(of some kind) , PSP, DS, portable DVD player, iPod. Something, if you're their all night(which I don't see happening, since launch is at 6PM, sleep out seems unneeded)

3) Friend, in case you need to go to the bathroom, get food, they can hold your spot, and you can leave.

Also money and food are a good idea!

(Those were things for camping out, in the fall. Atleast that what I needed, also a jacket+more warmth, but thats not needed now) Cooler maybe? I wouldn't sleep out, seems unneed when we are looking at a 6PM launch. Console are sleep out events because we get early launches(either 12AM, or a few hours earlier then normal opening time)

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I'm going to check my store the night before at 6pm (close), and depending on if anyone is there stay, or come back at 10pm. I might just camp out in the car for the hell of it. I'm going to bring the following:

A couple of fiberfill pillows, a couple of down pillows
A comforter
A comfy pair of slippers
A change of clothes
Kleenex
First Aid kit (you never know! people could get crazy!)
A cooler with beer, pop, diet pop, gatorade, and waters (enough to offer some to any iPhone-waiting new friends)
Chips, salsa, pretzels, fresh fruit, beef jerky, popped popcorn, some candy, etc
A book or two to read, some magazines
iPod (duh) and iPod speakers
Maybe borrow a friend's laptop to see if there's WiFi accessible or at least watch a DVD or something
Collapsible chair
Sunscreen
Ballcap
Mouthwash
Deodorant
A board game or two (maybe Scrabble and Risk! I don't know!)
Wallet + money (I'm going to a store in a big shopping center, so I'll have plenty to do if I end up not being in line or get tired and give up!)

That is, if I have the guts. I'm afraid camping out might be dumb since it's not on sale until 6pm.
LOL. That's quite a list. I'm coming with you. I'll bring the beer. Oh yeah, I'm on the East Coast...

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Most important thing to bring.

Jack Daniel's, Coke (Take your pick on the type), cups and ice (depending on type of coke you choose)

Anything else, is optional ... including clothing, unless you are male then clothing is required

I have no idea where I was going with this reply ...

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
1. A bottled water
2. A T-Shirt that says "NERD"
3. A Life

haha... j/k I''ll be the 1st one to have it in their hands b4 6pm... Why? duh I work for an att store!

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
I will be camping out with a few of my friends at the Easton (Columbus) Apple Store. I was thinking about bringing some brew, but with us being there all night, I'm sure there will be a cop watching us at all times.(Drinking on public property = big no no)

But I'll be bringing

1. 3 or 4 people
2. MacBook Pro
3. Cell Phone
4. Cooler
5. Speakers to make the night fun
6. Pop, Candy, Chips, Random Snacks
7. Lawn Chair
8. Sleeping Bag
9. Pillow
10. Wallet

And seeing as how it's probably going to be the hottest day of the year here in ohio, I'll probably be wearing as little as possible during the day...meaning my short shorts and a tank.

Edit, I'm hoping everyone else thinks no one will be camping out since it goes on sale at 6pm. I'd love to be the only ones there with my friends and be the first ones. It'd be ridic.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Earth to target market demographic.. It's not the second coming of Christ. The novelty will be gone in a few days after ownership and it'll be a 600 dollar cell phone with neat buttons you'll sit on and break and be pissed about.

What buttons? There's no buttons, except the home button on the bottom that's recessed. Methinks you were (or would have been if you didn't know) one of those that rolled your eyes when you heard Apple had announced that they were releasing an MP3 player, and probably made a similar comment. Good luck with that thinking, buddy.

To to OP, I doubt you'll need to camp out, especially overnight for a 6PM release. Swing by sometime in the morning and see if there's any signs of a line, and if so, sure, go ahead and stand in it, though it probably won't start getting long until a few hours ahead of time if there is one. Good luck though, let us know if you get one!

jW

The Viking

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Good call on the catheter. I camped out for Ikea opening here a month ago, and we took a tent, bags, pillows, an air mattress, water, sandwiches, and granola bars. I had my laptop and wifi, but really it was nice to catch up on a good book. They were amazingly prepared with porta-johns and a well-kept list with check-ins, etc.

My wife dragged me to this thing, but it wound up being a good experience. I won't be camping for the iPhone (I'm not convinced of short supply), but I wouldn't be bummed if it turned out I needed to. Camping with a bunch of Mac fanatics at an Apple store probably beats work.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
The absolutely most critical thing you can have with you is a knife-proof vest. You're likely to be stabbed three or four times while in line or after your purchase, so be prepared!

After that, you should have some kind of protective eye wear. When things get crazy, which they absolutely will, you need to make sure you don't get blinded from being clawed in the face in the melee.

I also recommend a helmet. Doesn't have to be for military-grade shrapnel protection (although it wouldn't hurt), but a simple bicycle helmet is a must for blunt force trauma. When the line surges forward and you get trampled or clubbed in the head, you'll thank me.

And finally, probably your second most important piece of equipment after the knife-proof vest, is a towel. You always need a towel.

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey
my new knife proof vest

The absolutely most critical thing you can have with you is a knife-proof vest. You're likely to be stabbed three or four times while in line or after your purchase, so be prepared!QUOTE]

P71738B.jpg

LOL

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
bring me. I'm half bald because of cancer. you'll get a few spaces in line with me. BTW: my friend is going to get an iphone for his make-a-wish (in 2008). he has some blood disorder. I already used mine on this imac.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
what not to do...

Here is what I recommend you do not do, based on my experience at camping out for concert tickets when I was in college (and away from Europe).

1. Expect the weather to change. I had snow in may!!! So maybe an umbrella.

2. Expect local laws to be strange. I opened a beer bottle (remember I'm from Europe) and immediately had explanations to give to the local police car that showed up from nowhere.

3. Only queue up if it is worth it. If the queue is already a mile long, you can guesstimate that the stock of goods available will be used up before your turn, so why wait.

Cheers:rolleyes:

retnuh730

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Mississippi!
Here is what I recommend you do not do, based on my experience at camping out for concert tickets when I was in college (and away from Europe).

1. Expect the weather to change. I had snow in may!!! So maybe an umbrella.

2. Expect local laws to be strange. I opened a beer bottle (remember I'm from Europe) and immediately had explanations to give to the local police car that showed up from nowhere.

3. Only queue up if it is worth it. If the queue is already a mile long, you can guesstimate that the stock of goods available will be used up before your turn, so why wait.

Cheers:rolleyes:
Likewise, if nobody's waiting, don't make a line for yourself, you'll just look stupid.

arcanic

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm prepared to camp out if needed, but I'm really hoping that either Apple or a random AT&T employee will give us the scoop as to how many iPhones will be in stock.

I also agree that comparing this to a Wii or PS3 launch is a bit off. Like everyone has stated....you buy a console...you're done...no contract. That opens up an entirely new demographic.

I think that stock will be ample....why else would they extend the hours of the store? Some people dismiss that idea, as it takes 15-30 minutes to get a new person activated. That may be true, but I'm SURE the stores will be fully staffed.

If all else fails, I'll park my country ass outside a store the night before with my new Santa Rosa 17" Macbook Pro + my Verizon EVDO-Rev A air card.

Arc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.