What do you carry with your new MacBook?

cmagno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I've greatly enjoyed the process of carefully selecting the accessories I carry with my rMB. I'm loving the single port decision- I'd much rather carry an accessory for a function I only need 5% of the time, than have it permanently attached to my machine.

So what goes with your MacBook every time you go out? Here's my list-

-Stock 29W power adapter
-Digital AV dongle (mostly for USB port)
-3ft Type-C to legacy USB cable (for charging off my power bank)
-24000mAh Limefuel power bank (for charging my rMB and other devices)
-Magic Mouse (for video editing work)
-USB to ethernet (for hotels)
-Bose QC20 headphones
-Case Logic sleeve (designed for MBA 11" but fits perfectly)

I also pre-ordered a Voltus Pro (USB-C battery + hub), which should replace most of the above: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/voltus/voltus-mobile-power-expansion-for-your-macbook

So, what's your setup? Hoping to discover some cool new add-ons for my kit.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I know I don't have one yet but I've been extremely curious as to how people are liking it? Are you using it as your main machine? How's the speed?

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
I've greatly enjoyed the process of carefully selecting the accessories I carry with my rMB. I'm loving the single port decision- I'd much rather carry an accessory for a function I only need 5% of the time, than have it permanently attached to my machine.

So what goes with your MacBook every time you go out? Here's my list-

-Stock 29W power adapter
-Digital AV dongle (mostly for USB port)
-3ft Type-C to legacy USB cable (for charging off my power bank)
-24000mAh Limefuel power bank (for charging my rMB and other devices)
-Magic Mouse (for video editing work)
-USB to ethernet (for hotels)
-Bose QC20 headphones
-Case Logic sleeve (designed for MBA 11" but fits perfectly)

I also pre-ordered a Voltus Pro (USB-C battery + hub), which should replace most of the above: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/voltus/voltus-mobile-power-expansion-for-your-macbook

So, what's your setup? Hoping to discover some cool new add-ons for my kit.
Very nice setup. I'm brining the USB-C adapter for flash drives and I have an Ogio backpack made for a 13" Pro that fits the MacBook perfectly. I'm a student and this laptop has allowed me two day battery life at times so I don't have need to bring the 29 Watt charger with me. I love it!

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
At my frequent fixed locations I keep
  • 27" HD HDMI monitor
  • Magic Mouse
  • Apple Wireless keyboard
  • Digital AV Adapter
  • Anker USB 3.0 three port hub and gigabit ethernet
  • 29 watt USB-C charger and cable

What I travel with
  • rMB
  • USB-C/USB-B thumb drive
  • USB-C/USB-A cable
  • Digital AV Adapter
  • Anker USB 3.0 three port hub and gigabit ethernet
  • 29 watt USB-C charger and cable
  • Neoprene sleeve with accessory pocket containing all of the above

My rMB benchmarks about 15% slower than my MBA. But in actual use the rMB has snappier graphics, as good or faster routine burst use, and somewhat slower sustained or multithreaded use (likely around the 15%).

So its a pretty good substitute for the MBA for most of what I do. I only notice minor lag/beachballs when something significant is running in the background. And I only notice slower operation for sustained activity like a long SQL call. Routine stuff seems as good or better than the MBA.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
rMB
Charger
USB-C adapter.

That's it. Everything else (battery pack, canalphones) I already had for long trips with my iPhone. Forsaking display adapters for a Chromecast.

Last edited:

happyslayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I guess my normal load out would be as follows:

MacBook 1.2/512 - obviously :)
Power adapter
USB-C to USB-A adapter
USB3 (Type-A) 3-port hub with gigabit ethernet

And that is all. I only rarely use the ethernet adapter but it's good to have if I have to setup a customer's router.

Also, I have only needed the power adapter when I travel overnight. Otherwise I get fantastic battery life (11+ hours normally) and have been able to go a few days without actually needing to carry it. I usually only charge it at night every few days or when I am doing an OSX beta update. Also, I will plug it in when I kick off a Time Machine backup.

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
Wow, a bag full of stuff! I take nothing, there's a space between the driver's seat and the centre console where the rMB slides perfectly. Works fine for a weekend away. Can't be bothered with taking stuff. If I were going for longer I'd take the charger, of course.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Posted on another thread...

Using a 15-inch Thule Stravan bag. Fits everything great!

Here's my Go Bag for May 2015!

May 2015 Go Bag!

MacBook Retina 2015 1.1Ghz/8GB/256GB/Silver
Thule Stravan 15-inch
Grid-It
Mini USB Cable
Lightning Cable
iClever Dual USB Wall Charger
USB-C to USB-A cable
Business Cards
Free Pen
USB-C to USB-A Adaptor
USB Thumbdrive
Chromecast (Not Shown)
Verizon MiFi HotSpot (Not Shown)

Reactions: BlakeBrattina

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
During my usual working day I take:

• rMB 1.2Ghz Space Grey

It sits in my bags laptop compartment all on its own, whilst the rest of my bag is taken up by pens, an notepad, and lunch. I find that the battery life is enough for my daily usage away from home. Plus thanks to dropbox, iCloud, and emails I've not found a need to use the USB-C port during daily usage.

However, last weekend I went on trip to London for the Comic Con down there. That was a slightly different story...

• rMB 1.2Ghz Space Grey
  • USB-C charger and charging cable
  • USB-C to USB-A adapter for camera connection
  • PowerBeats 2 wireless headphones

Oh, and I suppose I should add I use my iPhone 6 Plus for personal hotspot internet connection on the move.

cmagno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Portland, OR
rMB
Charger
USB-C adapter.

That's it. Everything else (battery pack, canalphones) I already had for long trips with my iPhone. Forsaking display adapters for a Chromecast.
That's actually a pretty interesting idea. How does the Chromecase handle streaming video?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68010
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I guess my normal load out would be as follows:

MacBook 1.2/512 - obviously :)
Power adapter
USB-C to USB-A adapter
USB3 (Type-A) 3-port hub with gigabit ethernet

And that is all. I only rarely use the ethernet adapter but it's good to have if I have to setup a customer's router.

Also, I have only needed the power adapter when I travel overnight. Otherwise I get fantastic battery life (11+ hours normally) and have been able to go a few days without actually needing to carry it. I usually only charge it at night every few days or when I am doing an OSX beta update. Also, I will plug it in when I kick off a Time Machine backup.
:eek: You're like a long lost Arizona doppelgänger! Almost exact same device setup I have - well done :D Good to hear you are getting proper battery life. I hope I have the same experience!

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
+ A cheap 5000mA battery pack with 2A USB outlet.
+ A cheap chinese USB-C to USB cable (less than $10)

Never carry an adapter with a Macbook ! :)

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I haven't travelled with mine, yet, but for my daily trips around town to the coffee shop and whatnot, I just bring the computer and nothing else.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
I won’t be taking anything with me just the rMB on it’s own, unless I’m going to be out for a long time then I’ll take the charger with me. I can’t be weighed down with too much stuff.

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Just throw the golden MacBook in a case and go!...sometimes I take this beauty naked and go!

Ary

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
Singapore / Antwerpen
While waiting for the Macbook to arrive, I have already amended the contents conforming to a new configuration to adapt to the computer, largely based on my existing Razer Blade configuration. Lean and lightweight takes priority.

- Local

Snugg Messenger Bag
USB-C to USB 3.0 Cable
Standard iPhone Earplugs
USB to USB cable (important as I plan to charge the macbook in the car)

- Travel

Switch the contents into a Das Keyboard RFID Blocking Bag
(Now on sale at their website @ 70% off)

The stuff I do requires me to carry a fairly bulky satellite phone, so that leaves little weight for anything else.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
In addition to the MB :

• BT mouse if I'm planning some advanced Excel work. I need to find a smaller one.
And :
  • For a day : nothing
  • For a couple of days to a week : the charger and cable
  • Longer :
    • USB-C to USB-A adapter just in case (I have the Google one, cheaper and not white)
    • Probably iPad Mini

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Has anyone found a USB adapter that also does USB-C passthrough? Apart from Apple's $79 thing...
I could easily be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the Apple adapter doesn't do "passthrough" as such. The USB-C outlet can only be used for charging the MacBook (while the other two outlets can be active doing their thing).
So, for example, you can keep the McBook charging while also watching a long movie through HDMI, and it can stay charging throughout. But you can't daisy-chain another USB-C connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.