what do you clean your screen with?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btownguy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Soft cloth and warm water. Those "lcd cleaning clothes" always seem to leave streaks.

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

4. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I use 2 sheets of Bounty or Kleenex Viva paper towels. One sheet I wet it completely and squeeze most of the water out. CLean the screen with it completely and immediately after you are done cleaning with the wet sheet, use the dry sheet to dry the residue.
    I have tried everything but this is truly the best way to have your screen looking brand new streak free....

5. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I just use my breath. That condensation with the cloth the MBP came with works perfect.

EDIT:
    One time though I grabbed a few Kleenex not knowing they were the moisturized kind. What a pain in the a$$ is was to get clean after that......

6. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

7. machspeed5 macrumors member

how about that apple microfiber cloth that came with your mac? Thats what i use on my MBP. :cool:

8. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

iKlear after the recommendation of many people. On the MBP (glossy) it seems to still leave a bit of streaking if you look at it at the right angle and light but if you make sure you keep wiping with the cloth for a bit they will disappear.

I also use it on my TV and desktop monitor and it doesn't leave any streaking at all plus it leaves a nice coating on my desktop LCD's plastic stand which makes it a nice smooth slippery feel.

In short, iKlear, I love the stuff.

9. felt. macrumors 6502a

10. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I just found that microfiber cloth. Nice.

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

a sprinkle of water off the fingers and a lint-free cotton cloth

13. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

A big juicy block of Spam! All that fat water proof's the screen as well.:cool:

Actually, I use iKlear. That stuff rocks!

14. mrkapawutzis macrumors newbie

I use the LCD cleaning cloths. They do leave streaks but if you dry it thoroughly with a little elbow grease and a lint-free cloth they come out spotless.

15. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Not the tissues, the Kleenex Viva Paper Towels...The tissues will leave horrible streaks...

16. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

17. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

marware microfiber keyboard cover cloth.

It really sucks up the crap that gets on my uMBPs glass.

18. m85476585 macrumors 65816

On a matte screen, just a dry microfiber cloth.

On a glass screen, a dry microfiber cloth, and if that isn't enough, a microfiber cloth moistened with a little rubbing alcohol/windex/glasses cleaning solution or even water. I don't spray anything directly on the screen, and I make sure that I don't use so much that it will drip.

I made a microfiber pouch for my iPod touch, so it is self-cleaning. I can use the outside of the pouch if the fingerprints become too much while I am using it.

Home Depot sells large cheap microfiber cloths like the one I made the iPod case out of.

19. Thephen macrumors newbie

I use...

If it's been while since cleaning, then I find I need to 'hydrate' the dirt/oils in order to get rid of them.

Water doesn't interact with the oils well, so I use something with a detergent in it. Windex works well. No matter what I use, I don't let it stay on the screen long.

Otherwise, I just use the cloth that came with my MPB, or that came with my prescription eye-glasses. (The solution that I use on my eyeglasses also seems to make quick work of oils.)

I don't use paper towels, since they are (in essence) made from wood and scratch plastics. This is a subtle kind of scratching that builds-up over time.

Often I wet one of these: http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx (a Screensavrz) and use that to apply the wet stuff, then I follow that with another screensavrz which is dry.

I do keep a screensavrz on the keyboard, and I try to use it everytime I open and close the MBP.

I don't know how it happened, but I seem to have ever more of those things lying around. Hmm.

Also: I clean the keys and trackpad the same way.

20. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

:eek:
    :eek::eek::eek: The wood fibers in the tissue might give the screen microscopic scratches!!! That's what microfiber is for... :eek::eek::eek:
    :)

Personally, I use the microfiber cloth that came with the Mac and the solution that I use to clean my glasses:cool:.

21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

iKlear spray and microfiber cloth, works pretty well for me :)

22. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I use a huge green microfiber cloth...no liquids of any sort. I just wipe mine down nightly so it never gets too bad.

23. sdragon macrumors member

Apple employee told me they use this stuff at the stores themselves.