What Do You Do For Your 40 Minute Work-Out?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Jul 21, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I just saw a commercial on TV starring a bunch of professional athletes (I think they were Football players) and they were talking about the importance of getting at least a 40 minute work-out five days a week, every week.

I walk/jog on the treadmill 40 minutes a day. What do you do for your 40 minute work-out?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm building my house for about twelve hours a day. Does that count?

3. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Only if you are using an actual hammer and hand saw.:D Using nail guns and rotary saws is cheating:p

4. mpw Guest

As it's your house I'm inclined to say yes; Had you claimed to be a builder building a house I'd be inclined to say no, as any exercise during the 3hrs of work punctuated by tea breaks is offset by the pasties and crisps consumed during those 'tea' breaks.:p

5. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I get up around 5:00am every other morning in the spring and summer and go for a run (great way to start the day!), I play soccer in a league year-round usually averaging 2 games per week, I hit the gym for workouts 3-4 times a week and when I go off on my travels (I'm a globetrotter) I love whitewater rafting, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, you name it. Oh, and I have miscellaneous reno projects contsantly on the go at my house and my investment properties as well, requiring a fair bit of manual labor one way or the other. ;) :cool:

As important exercise is to a person's overall health though, diet is even more important. Garbage in, garbage out. A person can work out all they want but if they're feeding their body crap like junk food, pop, fast food, pizza, chips etc. then they may as well not bother in the first place. :cool:

7. tsvb macrumors 6502

I'm planning on buying a treadmill or a eliptical very soon and this will be my source of exercise!

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Morning runs Monday Wednesday Friday and a basic old-school workout of push-ups, sit-ups and burpees every day at home. Don't believe too much in the gym!

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I do everything from weight training to isometrics to running. I usually work out about an hour a day, oftentimes more. I also rock climb recreationally, and it's the focus of my routines.

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

11. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I'm a high school Cross Country runner so I never worry about how much I need to work out. It kind of just happens. :cool:

12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Taking out the garbage and recycling, and carry up the groceries and/or backpack with school/work stuff - three flights of stairs.
    It does not have to be 40minutes non-stop.

and walking everywhere. For example went for walk around Seawall yesterday - 10.5 KM.

20-25 minutes of stretching everyday.

3-5 times per week some sort of recreational activity.

sit ups/ push up/ weights when I get bored. Had Bodyball at work - but did not survive the UV showers. :(

13. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I ride my bike throughout the country roads. They're very hilly. Do that about half an hour, forty five minutes. For now, I also have show choir with an hour of choreography on Monday, which I count. Once school starts mid August, that will get bumped to at least twice a week, plus the 70 minute periods during each school day.

14. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Does typing count as a work out? If so, I work out almost all day everyday, so I must be super-healthy! :D

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I jog for an hour 3 to 5 days a week and I do the usual push ups/pull ups every morning....its keep me fit.

I also stick to one rule....don't eat past 21:00

Bless

16. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

If that is a workout then playing video games is one too! :rolleyes:

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, your fingers are at least... :p

Yeah, this is a good one to follow. I never eat past 7:00pm actually, but it depends on person's sleep schedule and such. In general though, in order for your body to properly digest your last meal of the day, you need a good 4-6 hours between when you eat and when you go to bed - nothing in between.

You should also eat 6 smaller "meals" a day - this helps keep your metabolism balanced and always working. Breakfast lunch and dinner can still be more significant meals, however breakfast is the most important meal of the day and thus should be the largest. You should eat less as the day proceeds, as your body as less time to burn off the calories and process the food. As a result, dinner should not be a large meal, even though it seems like most people incorrectly make it the largest of the day. :rolleyes:

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Understatement of the year. ;)

Your workout routine is set as well. At least you know what you're doing, and have goals.

Not sure if the Ruskies still do it today, but a while ago, I heard that they eat their biggest meal of the day at lunch, and at dinner, they ate a portion of food equivalent to our lunch.

19. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I go to work. I sort at UPS, so I am lifting on average 25lb (up to 70lb) boxes for 3.5 hours a night.

Once I get my bike fixed I will be riding 16-20 miles every other day.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

My workout is closer to the 60 minute mark, 3-4 times a week.

I lift weights and make sure I do different things each day. My typical weekly routine:
    1. chest and triceps, 25-30 min of cardio
    2. back and biceps, 25-30 min of cardio
    3. shoulders and legs, 25-30 min of cardio
    4. cardio only

I mix abs into 2 or 3 of the 4 days.

Fun stuff!

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

At work, I do a lot of jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, pushing my luck, dodging responsibility and running my mouth.:D:D:p

The only real exercise I get is the weekly mowing of a 1/4 acre yard with a reel mower.:cool: I can't stand the fumes and noise from the gas mowers.:eek: I kid you not, it's a lot of hard work, although more modern reel mowers are easier to push than the ancient 70's mowers.

22. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

workout routine:
    monday and tuesday
    rest on wednesday
    thurs and friday

everyday i do: back,abs,tricep,chest,shoulder workouts(each day i focus on one of the muscle). legs i really don't do, i don't need to somehow my legs don't get big. its irregularly small in fact.

23. Motley macrumors 6502

I try to alternate between 1h30m to 1h45m on the bike one day and 1h at the gym the other.

24. kuruption macrumors member

i do 3 or 4 workout a week wen i hav my car but othawise i run
    1.chest and bicep
    2.shoulders and tricep
    3.legs and back
    no cardio wen i go gym cba.

25. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I bike to work. 12 miles round trip, takes about 20-25mins both ways.

It is without a doubt the best change I've made to my life. I feel fantastic, I have more energy throughout the day. I don't have to find time to work out as it simply takes the place of a car commute of the same time. (In fact its slower by car, I live in a busy city) And best of all I spend $0.00 on gas each week.

But most of all, it is FUN! So much fun. Highly recommended if you live within 10 miles of your work or less. (or more)