What do you do if your iPod Touch is cracked ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by motoleo, Jan 31, 2012.

1. motoleo, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I have such an insignificant crack near the bottom, the kind you can't see with the case on. Will I be charged if I take it to the Apple store- can I do that?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is it under warranty? And do you know how the crack happened?

3. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I have this..

Valid Purchase Date: Active

A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need.

Telephone Technical Support: Expired

You are eligible to purchase telephone technical support from an Apple Advisor.

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: February 17, 2012
    Learn about Apple's coverage information for your product.

Eligible for the AppleCare Protection Plan

Time is running out. You may be able to buy an AppleCare Protection Plan to extend coverage to 2 years from your iPod purchase date, but you must do so before February 17, 2012.

It slipped out of my pocket. But you can barely see the crack. It's almost microscopic.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You broke your iPhone by dropping it and you want Apple to replace it as defective? That's called fraud.

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

You just let it be cracked. :confused: If it's not affecting your use of the iPod and it's only cosmetic, they won't replace it. It doesn't really matter then anyway.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Put clear tape over the crack.

Don't know what Apple charges, but a family member dropped her 4-month old Touch and shattered the screen. She just covered the screen with clear tape (it still worked) and when she got back to Chicago, she had it repaired for $75. They did a beautiful job.

Then we got her an Otterbox case. :)

7. Drew89 macrumors newbie

Appointment

First you should have an Apple technician look at it, they can give you the price for replacement. It's free to have it looked at and VERY rarely they will do a one time replacement for free. With the introduction of AppleCare+ Apple is kind of moving away from those special case scenarios for more uniform guidelines rather than case by case.

So, have Apple check it out, they will give you the best answers. If you don't have an Apple Store near you call AppleCare, they are great people to talk to and are very kind.

1-800-APL-CARE

:apple: Drew

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

:rolleyes:

no where did he say he was going to trick Apple into replacing it.

9. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Actually some companies cover accidental damage, one being Asus.. I think it's worth going at the Apple store or calling to see If they can repair or replace it..

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

It's not fraud if he admits that it was broken accidentally in the first place.

I remember a forum member here who broke their screen and then handed it to the genius at the Apple Store, and the forum member dropped it, and got it replaced. Don't get any ideas.