What do YOU do just before/after a JB?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by evilgreg, Oct 15, 2010.

1. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

It's that time of the month here at the forums--a new jailbreak is out.

In honor of the great tradition of endlessly repeating threads that have already been asked; I ask you this:

When you guys JB your phone, what are the little things you like to do to make sure everything is straight, just before you click the button. And then, what do you do immediately after the jail is broken?

I usually do the old backup; save any random pictures in my camera roll to iphoto; make a quick note of what cydia apps i have installed (**** pkgbackup and its $5 fee-homey dont play dat); then erase phone and set up as new.

After JB, I restore from latest backup, get all my **** back from cydia (screw you pkgbackup), and pray that my sringboard isn't mashed up to hell--it always is, so then I set up good ol' multiiconmover and throw everything back in their respective folders.

BLAM!

Is it true that people recommend erasing your phone prior to JB then restoring after? Can't remember the proper procedure for that sometimes...

2. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I like to make organized folders on my computer that contain all the stuff I SSH to the phone. Also, I create folders named "Original" within each category which holds all the stock icons, playlists, what ever.

For example, I have a folder called Wallpaper Gradient. Inside has the original .png file, the customized .png and a text file showing the path to get to it. In this case System/Library/PrivateFramworks/SprigBoardUI.framworks.

I do the same for carrier logo images, customized ChatKit.framwork, SMS tones, SBSettings themes, Clear Lockscreen theme and so on.

After I double check to make sure things are backed up I get things started. Restore as new and then jailbrake. After that it's the sometimes long and tedious task of reorganizing all the icons back where I want them.

I also have a list of Cydia packages so when it's time to re-install I can just check them off one by one. There are helpful things like Pkg Backup but I prefer to do it myself.

3. The LPT macrumors regular

I use appbackup to save all my app store app data (eg game saves) So when I restore phone as new and rejailbreak I can continue where I left off.

4. ivan300 macrumors member

What I like to do is use this as a good reason to do a fresh start(not restore the backup)

I copy all my music/pictures/videos etc to my computer
    use aptbackup to save all the appstore apps info
    My contacts are saved through gmail active sync
    I use pkgbackup and create a backup
    Do the restore and set up a new phone.
    Jailbreak......
    Restore with pkgbackup or use its list to install the apps manually if you're worried
    Restore my gmail and all the media

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do YOU do just before/after a JB?

Usually I grab a soda and a snack and turn the TV on while its restoring and syncing my stuff back:)

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Install Installous.

Kidding. Install BiteSMS and MyWi. Two of the only Jailbreak programs I use.

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I like to shave all the hair of my body, and then cover myself in lanolyn oil.

Sorry, couldnt help it.

I run Pkg Backup then sync with my mac.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D

9. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

What I wish I would have done...

I had the 5 icon dock hack with phone, sms, browser, email and ipod. When I restored to 4.1, my mail icon disappeared completely because I now only had 4 spots on the dock.

I wish I had removed them off the dock first, because to get it back I had to restore my homescreen which obliterated my folders. I ended up with 11 pages of apps that used to be on 4 pages nicely organized.

At least this was an opportunity to get rid of the dead wood.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You too?? :eek::eek::eek: wow, So I am not alone!!

If i tell you what i do my post will me remove by a mod, so just use your imagination (it is the same thing I do while waiting for JB, and after a JB :cool:)