What Do You Do To Keep Your Mac Clean?

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
1,772
319
Greenville, NC
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what everyone did to keep there Macs clean? I use a plain microfiber cloth to clean off the screen and body of my eMac. Any other suggestions to keep my eMac looking brand new?
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
It's not like the eMac is difficult to clean, use the same stuff to clean it that you would to clean any other electronic device.
 

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
993
0
Perth, Oztrailya
Compressed air is great for blowing out the dust from the keyboard. And after a while the keys start to get a bit grimey, so I use a dampened cloth with a *little* detergent to keep my white keys nice n' sparkly.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
iClean!
it's AWESOME!

$10 a bottle and it will last you a long time, even if you obsessively clean it every week.

I got mine about a year ago, and I still have about 3/4 of the bottle.
I use it with a microfiber cloth I got from the DOLLAR STORE!

*DOLLAR STORE!!*
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
The G5 gets a Windex Wipe cleaning once a week, the display gets a damp paper towel wipe down three or four times a week, and I blow out the inside ofthe G5 one every other week for dust.

I use iKlear on the iBook weekly, blow out the keyboard once a week.

The Dell has a pile of dust on it.
 

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
1,772
319
Greenville, NC
Chaszmyr said:
It's not like the eMac is difficult to clean, use the same stuff to clean it that you would to clean any other electronic device.
I was just wondering what other people use to clean there Macs with. I know the eMac isn't hard to clean, cause I clean it every couple of days. :rolleyes:
 

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
1,772
319
Greenville, NC
iGary said:
The G5 gets a Windex Wipe cleaning once a week, the display gets a damp paper towel wipe down three or four times a week, and I blow out the inside ofthe G5 one every other week for dust.

I use iKlear on the iBook weekly, blow out the keyboard once a week.

The Dell has a pile of dust on it.
Hey iGary, do you think a Windex Wipe would work well on the eMac's glass CRT screen? Cause I sprayed Windex on a paper towel to clean it off, but it made it worse (Yes I know, I'm a bad person for doing something like that ;) ) O btw, thanks for reminding me I need to dust off my mom's Dell! :D :rolleyes:
 

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
1,772
319
Greenville, NC
dops7107 said:
Compressed air is great for blowing out the dust from the keyboard. And after a while the keys start to get a bit grimey, so I use a dampened cloth with a *little* detergent to keep my white keys nice n' sparkly.
I'll have to check that out. I've read many times before that is the best thing for cleaning out keyboards. I actually took mine apart this morning becuase the clear plastic bottom part was really dirty. Had never been cleaned in 1yr, 1 week of ownership, so I thought it was time.
 

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
1,772
319
Greenville, NC
katie ta achoo said:
iClean!
it's AWESOME!

$10 a bottle and it will last you a long time, even if you obsessively clean it every week.

I got mine about a year ago, and I still have about 3/4 of the bottle.
I use it with a microfiber cloth I got from the DOLLAR STORE!

*DOLLAR STORE!!*
Hey do you know if they sell that at Apple Stores? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks and it would be great if I could pick some up.
 

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
1,772
319
Greenville, NC
maya said:
Is your room ventilated properly? Construction happening in your room, or its about time you clean your room. ;) :)
I usually dust my room every 2 weeks, and the house was built in April 2002 and my dad says (who built the house) that the dust is due to settling. My grandmother's 35 year old house is a lot less dusty than mine, so I guess it is the settling or something.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
ryannel2003 said:
Hey do you know if they sell that at Apple Stores? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks and it would be great if I could pick some up.

Yup! they sell it at the Apple store! they even come with microfiber cloths! :D
I think $25? Look it up on Apple.com, it'll be on there.
 

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
592
0
I've never cleaned my mac mini, but I clean my desk and keyboard with hospital grade antibacterial wipes pretty much everyday. My aunt brought them from the hospital when my brother was diagnosed with leukimia (gotta make sure there's no mold or anything).
 

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
859
0
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I also got the iKlear, although not the bottle, but the little 'travel' packs, which is essentially 2 cloths, one wet, and one dry. You use the wet one to clean, and the dry one to wipe it off... plus, it comes with a little microfiber cloth that is used to give my powerbook that extra 'polish' :D I usually do that once a month (wet/dry method), but usually once a week i'll whip it down with a cloth, and compress-air my keyboards (powerbook and wireless)
 

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
640
8
Vancouver
Guys, what do you use to clean the outer shell of the iBook? Not like the palm rest area.. but like the shell area of the case when it is closed.. in particular the top of the case where the apple logo is?

I've got these really stubborn marks kind of imprinted onto my case from my bag. Help.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
terriyaki said:
Guys, what do you use to clean the outer shell of the iBook? Not like the palm rest area.. but like the shell area of the case when it is closed.. in particular the top of the case where the apple logo is?

I've got these really stubborn marks kind of imprinted onto my case from my bag. Help.
I actually also use iKlear on the outside shell of my iBook. As for those 'stubborn marks' resulting from your case (I'll assume you mean the case you keep your 'book in), I'd suggest you get a better case. It's there to protect your 'book-- it shouldn't cause problems.
 

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
875
2
UK
terriyaki said:
Guys, what do you use to clean the outer shell of the iBook? Not like the palm rest area.. but like the shell area of the case when it is closed.. in particular the top of the case where the apple logo is?

I've got these really stubborn marks kind of imprinted onto my case from my bag. Help.
You can use metal polish to get rid if scratches, and it also is good for getting rid of marks picked up from other things like bags, ink from pens and so on. In the UK you can get Brasso and Silvo - the latter is ideal as it has a much finer abrasive in it. Whatever you use its best to try a small area out of sight first (on an iBook I would go for the battery cover) just to be certain. Be careful that the cloth is very soft and very clean, otherwise you'll add more scratches.
 

iSaint

macrumors 603
iClean with the small cloth it came with. It was a good buy, as I have lots of the two bottles leftover. Cleans the screen well, too. Also buy a can of air to clean the keyboard. About every month power down, take the battery and keyboard out, and do a really good scrubbing.
 

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
593
0
Chicago, IL
Wow, I must be really cheap....I clean all my computer stuff with baby wipes.

Although, my electronics really are my babies so I guess it's okay.