What do you do when you Mac hang while shutting down?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seasurfer, Dec 28, 2007.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

My iMac hang while shutting down, everything is shut down and is showing the turning spike.

After 5 mins, my iMac is still showing the turning spike, it has still now shut down yet. What has happened?

2. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

You know you have to run defragment on a PC well macs do it when they shut down automatically. If you've kept your mac on for a long time it will tend to do what you describe...nothing to worry about!

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Five minutes is quite long to shut down. Do you quit apps before shutting down? Does it take just as long to log out? What peripherals do you have connected? :)

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Several people have reported problems with Leopard, whereas the computer does not shutdown properly. They have to resort to holding down the power button until it switches off. A friend of mine has the problem with his Macbook, whereas mine is fine. We have been trying to find a solution but with no success, including disconnecting all shares, closing all programs and also shutting down using terminal. The problem was not apparent in Tiger.

There are a few apple discussion threads about it http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6160990

Hopefully the problem will be resolved with the 10.5.2 update.

5. mrock macrumors member

I'm a relatively new Mac user, and had this problem a few weeks ago with my MacBook. I'd heard about the Repair Permissions option for fixing a few problems (found in Disk Utility) and ran that to correct any problems that may have arisen. It seemed to work and now it doesn't hang on shutdown.

I'm not saying that it's guaranteed to work as I'm sure there's more than one possible cause for this, but maybe worth a shot?

6. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

After this event, my iMac is weird now. It is sluggish at time, I started to realized it when I was viewing the history pull down of my Safari. Then while I was running my Oynx 1.84, it hang, non responsive. I went into Disk Utility mentioned in the previous post, it hang as well. What happened, can someone tell me how to fix it?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

call applecare now

although I can't rule out the problem with leopard. it sounds, to a significant extend, like a hardware problem.

8. unity macrumors 6502a

I disagree. There is no sign of it being a hardware problem.

I would boot from the Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility to repair the disk.

If nothing is found, create a new user account and see if that user account has the same issues. If not, its likely some sort of corruption with your user account. If there is still and issue it could be a number of things, looking at the logs may help.

Could also try a PRAM reset, sometimes it fixes a few odd things. As soon as you hear the start-up chime, as in RIGHT away, press: command-option-p-r

Keep holding down until you hear three additional restarts.

9. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Not sure where you got this info, but it isn't correct.

10. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot everyone. Seems that this is a better forum, people here reply fast. Really appreciate it.

I used Onyx and there isn't any problem now except that verifying the disk takes a long time to run, 5 mins??? Is this normal? After that it says no problem is found. I deleted my Safari cache and history too. Therefore, I can't tell if Safari is still having that sluggish problem when I view my history now. I have to wait until I have more history in it.

By the way, what is a PRAM reset? What does it do?

11. unity macrumors 6502a

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parameter_RAM

There is also a PMU reset that can be done, and could be the next step if the problem does not go away, but setting up another account would be preferred to isolate the problem.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew