What do you do with discarded 1GB sticks?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by englishman, Aug 27, 2010.

?

What do you do with discarded 1GB sticks?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2010.
  1. Give them away free

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Throw them in the bin

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Sell them

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Part exchange them

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

If buying lowest RAM what do folks do when upgrading with non-Apple RAM?

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Keep them... dunno if Apple are still bastards about it but if you ever bring you Mac Pro in for service, you should put the original RAM in or your 3rd-party stuff might disappear.

3. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I always keep the old stuff incase I need to send the machine in for repair or if I decide to sell it.

4. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Damn - can't edit a poll. :eek:

Good advice.

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

6. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

8. studiox macrumors regular

Most cases I use memory.

My MacPro has 8G RAM that i pulled out from my Dell Server when I upgraded it to four 8G sticks. But I use a lot of memory as a run lots of servers :)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I put them in a box and when I need to send in my machine for repair, I have the stock RAM.

10. davidp158 macrumors member

I read a post somewhere that suggested Apple service can give you a hard time if a machine is brought in for repair with non-Apple certified RAM. The stock RAM is worth keeping for trouble shooting if you suspect your new RAM is acting up.

11. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Anyone take advantage of the OWC rebate? I know it's not much, but they'll give $9 per 1GB module if you buy RAM from them. That's what I was planning on doing...

12. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

Would anyone actually buy those 1GB modules on eBay?

And I'm pretty sure Apple cannot void your warranty as long as you install hardware by the book. As long as it's standard hardware and no special modifications or overclocking.

Relevant sections:

In other words: if you damage the system while installing an upgrade, you're out of luck. THAT may be where the service reps give you a hard time: they'll try to make it look like you caused the problem when you upgraded it. If you can prove that your upgrade wasn't the reason and it was due to faulty product workmanship, then you still get warranty coverage.

13. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I don't think its so much a warranty void issue as its that Apple will often replace the RAM with stock RAM in the troubleshooting effort, leaving your upgraded system like it was stock. With my wife's Macbook, that would mean going from 4GB of RAM down to 1GB. That's why I've kept the ORIGINAL RAM - to keep my upgrade from going AWOL.

14. sboerup macrumors 6502

This. They aren't worth anything, but you'll be pretty upset you sold them for $30 when Apple might say "sorry, we don't support this RAM, but you can buy another 8GB for $1000" . . .

Seriously, the trade in value for OWC is $9 each? What a joke . . . hold on to them, you'll wish you had.

15. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

That's pretty messed up. I'd even consider it theft, unless there's some sneaky clause deep in the repair agreements that says they can just snake RAM that you purchased yourself.

And why would they replace the RAM if the RAM turns out to not be the problem? Shotgun approach to troubleshooting; just replace everything at once and hope one of the components was the faulty one?

16. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

True. I got my RAM snaked by applecare techs. After an update my old 2.33Ghz MBP would no longer boot. Turns out it was the RAM. Sent it in with 3GB, got it back with 2GB.

17. dissolve macrumors 6502a

But if the issue weren't the RAM, why would they just keep the 3rd party modules? I can understand taking them out to test it, but why not put it back?

18. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

What'd you guys do when Apple techs took your RAM? I'm curious about their response.