Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Approaching 1000 pictures on my iPhone....I have probably 550 of them already backed up in DB and deleted a few of them. Do most of you keep the bulk of the pics you have taken on your iPhone or drop them somewhere and keep on keeping on? Just ask because there will eventually come a time where that decision will have to be made due to space...Just curious.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Approaching 1000 pictures on my iPhone....I have probably 550 of them already backed up in DB and deleted a few of them. Do most of you keep the bulk of the pics you have taken on your iPhone or drop them somewhere and keep on keeping on? Just ask because there will eventually come a time where that decision will have to be made due to space...Just curious.

I download them into iPhoto, and take em off my phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Photostream takes them to Aperture on my Mac automatically.

I periodically erase old shots from the phone. I do wish I could set it to auto-erase shots from the camera roll that have been confirmed in Aperture. Surely that's technically possible.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I don't have a ton of pictures, but I import them to iPhoto to organize them and sync most albums back to the iPhone

This. I enjoy organizing them in Events, Albums, and Faces. I am a BIG fan of iPhoto/Photostream. It makes it so easy to have everything backed up:)

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Thanks all....I have been using a MBP for about a year now and love it. I have to admit iPhoto is one of the things about my Mac that I dont really care for simply because i dont understand it. I am using to working in Photoshop on Windows and it just doesnt seem user friendly. You guys have convinced me to give it another shot.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Thanks all....I have been using a MBP for about a year now and love it. I have to admit iPhoto is one of the things about my Mac that I dont really care for simply because i dont understand it. I am using to working in Photoshop on Windows and it just doesnt seem user friendly. You guys have convinced me to give it another shot.

Don't think of it as Photoshop.

Think of it as iTunes.

It's not exactly the same, but if you start with that mind-set you'll probably have an easier time "getting" it.

If you find yourself needing actual photoshop abilities (and don't want to pay that much for it) then I suggest getting Acorn:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acorn-image-editor-for-humans/id402280036?mt=12

You can set iPhoto's settings to have a default external editor. Set it to Acorn (or Photoshop or whatever).

So you can still use iPhoto to organize photos, but then right-click one to open it in the external editor...do what you want...and then re-save it.

But yeah, try to learn to love iPhoto first before adding in anything else like that.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Don't think of it as Photoshop.

Think of it as iTunes.

It's not exactly the same, but if you start with that mind-set you'll probably have an easier time "getting" it.

If you find yourself needing actual photoshop abilities (and don't want to pay that much for it) then I suggest getting Acorn:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acorn-image-editor-for-humans/id402280036?mt=12

You can set iPhoto to have a default external editor. So you can still use iPhot to organize photos, but then right-click one to open in the external editor...do what you want...and then re-save it.

But yeah, try to learn to love iPhoto first before adding in anything else like that.

Actually, the biggest problem I have had is the actual organization structure of it. I still by habit go in and right click to delete a pic and that's not even an option. Any cliff notes on using iPhoto?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I have to admit iPhoto is one of the things about my Mac that I dont really care for simply because i dont understand it. I am using to working in Photoshop on Windows and it just doesnt seem user friendly.
FWIW, if you go into iPhoto and do Help > iPhoto Help, it brings up 7 lessons that explain the workflow.

Each lesson also has a quick 2-minute video, if you're like me and hate reading. :)

Once you get the feel for the workflow, I think it's a pretty easy app to use. I really like the Locations thing, seeing as how iPhone pictures usually have the GPS saved in them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 4.04.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 4.04.23 PM.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 78

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Actually, the biggest problem I have had is the actual organization structure of it. I still by habit go in and right click to delete a pic and that's not even an option. Any cliff notes on using iPhoto?
What version are you running? When I right-click, there are big icons for rotating, hiding, and Trashing (deleting).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    180.1 KB · Views: 60
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.