What do you do, with your coster CDs?

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
What are you guys doing with your Burn CD's that didn't burn right, or no longer needed. I have two spindel full of CD's (Almost a 3rd) that didn't either burn right (I have a defective CD Burner and thuoght it was software), or no longer need.

Because some of them may contain person info, what are you guys doing to get rid of your costers?

Hugh

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I've probably gone through a few hundred CD's that either didn't burn right or just had data on it that was no longer needed or outdated. At my old job we would have contests trying to get them to shatter slapping them down hard on a table. Otherwise I just fling them like a frisbee into the trash can across the room.

Microwaving is fun too, the first time you do it.

Maybe I should have saved the shards and made a dress like this girl did.

Attachments

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
my buddy and his brother started glueing them to the ceiling in his bedroom, it started out as a couple rows, then a triangle to the middle, then almost the whole ceiling was covered. We just make patterns with them, it looks pretty sweet i think....

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
They go off to a recycler. There are companies that will even take CDs for free (you pay postage), but I don't know if those ones will take shredded discs.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The local recycling center takes CDs (of the evil AOL sort) and CDRs, so I just dump them in their bucket. Whatever happens to them must be better than a landfill, though I'm not entirely sure how you'd do something with a layer of hard plastic and a thin layer of aluminum.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
If you have alot of them, I did read about something that you can buy that will cut them up so they can not be used.

Go to Staples.com, there is a shredder there that will shred them. It costs $99.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
The microwave idea is fun if you have never done it before, but you want to be careful and it can kinda stink up the house. Also not sure how good of a job it does of making your private data unreadable.

I would look into buying a cross-cut shreader (as mentioned above) that is strong enough to handle cd's and credit cards. Might sound like overkill, but if you are concerned about personal security, you should shread any mail, old bills, or whatever anyway.

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Bend them in half until they break. It's fun and dangerous. :) Scissors work too but they are not as much fun.

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
Way back when, me and a group of friends had a bunch of coasters and some aol discs. We took those into one of their basements, borrowed a dremel and had hours of fun affixing the cd onto the dremel, spinning it up to speed and then letting it rip. We eventually got out a ramp and sent them airborne as well. It was a ton of fun and I would recommend that if you do try this, to do it in an area where you can easily pick up the pieces because when they hit the wall, they shattered all over the place. :D

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Foxglove9 said:
I've probably gone through a few hundred CD's that either didn't burn right or just had data on it that was no longer needed or outdated. At my old job we would have contests trying to get them to shatter slapping them down hard on a table. Otherwise I just fling them like a frisbee into the trash can across the room.

Microwaving is fun too, the first time you do it.

Maybe I should have saved the shards and made a dress like this girl did.
That reminds me of the dress that was made out of AOL 3 1/2 disks. LOL

EricNau said:
I put them in the trash... where they belong.
I would thow them in the trash but some of them have personal data on them which makes me a think twice about.

iMeowbot said:
They go off to a recycler. There are companies that will even take CDs for free (you pay postage), but I don't know if those ones will take shredded discs.
I haven't shredded them, but again I would be worried that the recyler would go though the CDs. :/

savanahrose said:
If you have alot of them, I did read about something that you can buy that will cut them up so they can not be used.

Go to Staples.com, there is a shredder there that will shred them. It costs $99.
Thanks I didn't know there was a shredder that could cut CDs up. :)

Hugh

sambob

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
I put them In the microwave 3 at a time for about 5 seconds, check them for a nice even spider web effect, if it ain't quite cooked all the way round let It cool and hit It again for about 2-3 seconds.
To keep the smell down i try not to do more than 20 In one sitting, then just toss'em.:D

UnitedRed

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
a pub I used to go to sometimes had their whole bar covered in cds, with glass or plastic over the top. Looked quite good

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Last year in the dorms, one of my friends had a dremel with a tip that fit perfectly inside the hole in a CD. So we would take coasters, AOL CDs that they hand out on campus, whatever, so we would stand at one end of the hall, spin up the dremel, and shake the CD off or push it off with a pen or something, and the damn thing would fly across the room in like a second, slam into the wall at the other end, and shatter into a ton of pieces. Its quite entertaining :D