Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Addict

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Chicagoland
I'd like to hear what other users do with their Macs. Macs have decent hardware & a great efficent OS.

Besides the basics: mail, web, ect... I love iPhoto and enjoy using the photos with iLife making websites, web gallery and so on. I rip/compress/burn DVDs & play with garage band. Waiting till end of march for the release of the panasonic hdc-sd9 to start making/editing home movies.

But with such horsepower under our Macs I feel like there's more that I should be trying. I use the mac mostly at home, maybe more of the powerful software is work related? I've been thinking of taking the photo thing up a notch.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Photography is my big, big hobby, and I use my Mac Pro (2007 version 8 core 3.0 ghz) for photo storage and editing. Currently two hard drives at 750 GB each, forming a JBOD of 1.5 TB).

Also, an unassuming white MacBook so I can have Internet when traveling.

jaathan

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
i do alot of photoshopping as a hobby. Plus with a beautiful crisp 24" inch, theres no doubt about it. But sadly my iMac is in for repairs suffering from dead pixels :(

Theatrics

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
San Diego
Besides the basics, I do a lot of art, mainly in Illustrator. I also use Photoshop and Pixelmator. As far as games go, I play Second Life and EVE Online. I use Garageband to record music with my midi keyboard and guitar. I use Skype, Colloquy, and iChat to stay connected. I do a bit of web stuff with Text Mate, Cyberduck, and Rapidweaver. I use it for everything.

KJdanReuben

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Final Cut. School work. And, of course, the basics with a few games. Well, really only two games, Age of Empires II & III.

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
Well, apart from the usual suspects: mail, safari, transmission and iLife, I also have to admit using my mac as:

An object of desire, caressing and adoring it every day I turn it on (or vice versa):D:D:D

I also use it as a VMware Host machine which it seems to do very well and I know it's old-skool, but I love playing Quake on it.

....oh, that's right, the main reason I purchased it was to create music....

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Earning a living :p (including design work and admin of a mixed Windows/Mac network).

Bobbi Flekman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Several things, but apart from the usual suspects (mail, websurfing, office stuff like wordcrunching), the two things that set it apart are developing programs and music.

The development is maintenance and creation of programs to aid in the fight against malware. This is done in VMware Fusion with Borland Development Studio as main development tool. I also use Fusion to analyse malware, as it helps to know what you are fighting.

The second thing I do is music (I am a keyboardist/guitarist). I have Logic Studio running for that. And a bunch of synthesizers that are manipulated through it, most notably the Native Instruments Komplete bundle. One of the things I will be checking out in the new Studio is MainStage as that can help in program changes in live situations.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
iPhoto, iMovie, World of Warcraft like 2 hrs average a day, Handbrake (100+ movies so far), iWeb, Skype, Reason, Office 2008, Podcasting.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
MBP For Everything!

I currently have my MBP hooked up to my monitor, keyboard and mouse. It currently serves as my main machine for software development, office, all things iLife, 3d scene animations (using bryce 6), and movie creation. i'm a hobbyist, so i don't need something too powerful like the Mac Pro (although that would be nice).

I could sure use a higher-end Mac Mini than the one's currently available... as that will allow me to stack extra hard-disk drives without adding too much clutter.

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
The usual surfing stuff and iTunes, plus EyeTV (record TV shows, archive and watch on iTouch when traveling). Transmission for downloads, Handbrake and Visual Hub for video conversion and extraction. Use iPhoto for family pictures, and Soho Notes for organising my life and computing life with an archive of anything and everything!

Gerard.

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
Clean it, then sit on my bed and stare at it. Then when i manage to get on it i usually use Transmission for torrenting movies, Photobooth, Adium for chatting, iPhoto, Dashboard, iDvd for burning discs.

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I use my mini at work for protein homology modelling and molecular graphics work with VMD, alongside the usual office apps.

The iMac at home is strictly Warcraft only :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.