What do you do with your old Mac?

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 17" PowerBook that has seen a lot of action. It has been through a very tough 21 month Exectuive MBA program, run countless financial models, built numerous web pages, written 4 screenplays, 12 business plans and has handled 100's of presentation. It has been to Japan, China, Spain, Mexico and Taiwan just to name a few places. I can't help but feel attached to this system. I must also add this is my first Apple computer, so as I look to upgrade to a new system, I can't help but feel a little guilty. Now I am left with a question I pose to you guys.

What do you do with your old Mac?

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I try to sell it.

I just sold my first mac too, and I admit I will be very sad to ship it away. I am attached to it. But I want a new mac and I want to reduce my out of pocket expense.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
If I were you, I'd pass it on to someone in the family. That way you can still "stay in tocuh".;)

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Sell it, which is what I'll do with my old mac in the macrumors marketplace once I reach 100 posts. :)

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I wish someone would "donate" a Mac to me....even an old eMac with Tiger on would be cool :) just to get my head around OS X, in time for my MacBook around January time :D

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
keep it plugged into power and ethernet and make it a server. no monitor needed and you can just tuck it away somewhere.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Usually I sell it and put the money towards offsetting the cost of the upgrade. when I got my MBP in March, I donated my old iMac to the girlfriend. She's a convert now. :)

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
My PB is 2.5 years old and still trucking. I've got 1.5GB of RAM to still upgrade, and this machine is running fine (ok, a bit slower than I would like), so I imagine I can squeeze some more out of it. My last computer (a Vaio) I had maxed out the RAM by this time...

When it does come time to get rid of this machine, I'll end up giving it to my kids to use as a learning tool, or use it as a living room machine. Either way, it'll stay with us until it dies (I still have the Vaio, and we still have our Kaypro, P133, Celeron 266 [they got it without my permission] and now the iMac G5 at my parents).

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
My first mac was sold to a friend. Was kinda sad to see it go but my new MB is awesome. Atleast I know who has my first mac.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
you'd give it to me? please!!:) :)

Anyways what I'd probably do with it is take it apart, i'm a tinker-er so i'd probably find uses for most things in it.:) pur-lease!

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have the exact same Mac as Kasel - 17" 1.33 but I upgraded mine to 2 GB RAM. It's seen me through a ton of traveling, on-site video editing, heavy file manipulation (3 GB Photoshop files), etc, etc. I'm going to make it last for another year or so and then turn it into a backup laptop/living room Mac. I really can't imaging getting much money for it a year from now. My older Macs (nearly 10 year old Power Computing clones - 604 processors) still exist as file and music servers. One in my house another in a friend's office. I also turned my Mac SE/30 into a Macquarium once the CRT died.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Stack em up in my room.

I have this big pile of vintage Macs making a huge tower on a dresser in my room.

I wish someone'd buy the suckers. :(

Its a 6100, then 2 7100s, then a Beige G3, then an 8500.

I also have a shelf with two empty Blue G3s, two working Blue G3s, and a Yikes G4.

If anyones interested in purchasing, shoot me a PM. :D I could use the cash more than the Macs, I only really use my iBook and my Digital Audio G4.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Until recently my 7500 PowerMac was used to create sample loops that were transferred to my 5300 PowerBook for me to use for gigs. What changed was:
We split up the band, the inverter went on the 5300 and then the 7500 died of a broken heart.

My old iMac I gave to my folks, who have just upgraded to a Mac Mini.
My wife has the old G3 PowerBook and my G4 Quicksilver is pretty much my music server.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
bartelby said:
We split up the band, the inverter went on the 5300 and then the 7500 died of a broken heart.
Bartelby: I PMd you about music in Newport a while back and your experimental band was just about to begin. Sorry to hear it's over now - have you got a myspace for that band?

By the way, do you post on Collective Zine? It seems like the sort of thing that may interest you.

Back on-topic: I tend to keep my Macs forever, or find them a good home - like an elderly relative who's never had a computer before. I still keep promising myself that I'll either fix my old Lombard powerbook, or take it apart to sell as parts on eBay.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Dunepilot said:
Bartelby: I PMd you about music in Newport a while back and your experimental band was just about to begin. Sorry to hear it's over now - have you got a myspace for that band?

By the way, do you post on Collective Zine? It seems like the sort of thing that may interest you.

I'm in the process of redoing the band's website (when I can be arsed) and reorganising my MySpace page.

Collective Zine? I've not heard of it before. I'll check it out shortly.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
On a side note / off topic kinda thing.
Any ideas what's wrong woth my 7500.

It starts up with the correct chime. Then after a minute beeps then goes to a blue screen.