What do you expect from the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeemeerman2, Mar 28, 2010.

1. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Since there are many threads on this forum complaining or waiting about the new MacBook Pro, I'd ask you this:

- What do you expect from the new MBP?

You may post here about which new processor or gpu you expect, but also about things like how the "previous" unibody had backlighted keyboard, a sudden motion sensor, nearly invisible standby lights, battery lights on the case, the capacity of the battery, or even the case itself. Any other related things (perhaps MBP only software?) can be posted too.

So in short,
    - How would the new MBP look like?
    - Which specs does the new MBP have?
    - Which additional features will the new MBP have?
    - Does it work on solar power? (Just a joke! ;) or maybe not... :eek: )

Post your expectations here, and share it with other readers. :)

Good luck!

2. kaiserben macrumors member

kaiserben

i5 + ATI GPU + SSD + USB3 (with cooling functionalities) + NO optical drive (HDD instead)+ 13" full HD screen + unibody alu

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Very likely the same as current ones

Likely new CPU (Core ix series) and GPUs (either ATI 5xxx or nVidia 3xxM)

Probably none

Seriously, there is HUGE thread about this already http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=879595

4. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

Prepare to be disappointed.

I would be glad if Apple releases them already with some reasonable changes. That's not too much to ask.

5. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I agree with Hellhammer, although I think the insanity of the other thread has caused the OP to start fresh.

Anyway, my requirements are minimal. I want just a far better video card that will be able to handle Diablo III at the highest settings with zero issues. I also want to make sure they do not change the ease of upgrading the hard drive or RAM. Other than that, Arrandale will handle the rest as the successor to Penryn.

6. Sn0wball macrumors regular

i7 (seeing as i5 doesn't have hyperthreading) + SSD + OLED = one very happy camper.

It's either that or a Sony Vaio F. It all comes down to what features and price the new MBP will be.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i5 suitable for MBP does in fact have HT and so does i3... Only core i5 "Lynnfield" used in iMacs have that disabled but other o5s have it.

OLED is way too expensive atm and so are SSDs (as default) :(

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That it will finally shut people up, at least for a few months.

That and a matte option on the 13".

9. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

I am hoping to purchase the top, top of the line new macbook pro when they are refreshed.

This is what I'm hoping for.

8GB DDR3 RAM
    3.0 USB
    i7 3.06ghz (or more)
    SSD
    OLED
    500GB HDD 7200RPM (I have already ordered the 2TB time capsule so this doesn't matter to me much, yes I know, stupidly overpriced :D)
    The best GPU money can buy!

I'm hoping to keep this over-all price below £2200 WITH the 14% student discount. So a £3000 (without discount) macbook pro would be lovely!

p.s. I have reason for these stupid demands.

10. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

Um, I just want Arrandale processors (speaking of processors, I'd like 2.53 GHz to be in the introductory MBP), higher native HDDs, higher standard of RAM (4GB in the base model, etc.) and a better graphics card (I could care less about the maker, I just want the option to have a really powerful one).

If they remove the Superdrive, I'm gonna be PISSED. If you want another HDD, upgrade it yourself. I still use my optical drive daily.

Things that would be nice but won't happen:
    Blu-Ray Superdrive
    USB 3.0 (although, i guess it's possible)

11. Quetsche macrumors member

AFAIK, the most powerful mobile i7 is at 2.67Ghz (not 3.06, unless you're talking about the turboboost)

12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I only care about the 13" MBP at this point...

What I hope changes: Arrandale, 4gb RAM standard and 250gb HDD standard. I also want to see an integrated video solution that's at least a tiny bit better than the 9400m.

What I don't want changed: screen resolution! 1280x800 on a 13" screen is just right. Anything with more pixel depth will make text too hard to read on the small screen.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

But a 14% discount on £3000 is still going to cost almost £2600...

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, the Core i7-620M runs @ 2.66GHz and 3.33GHz with Turbo Boost. It's dual core as well, not quad. +3GHz i7 would be a 130W desktop CPU which would turn MBP into a smelt piece of aluminum :p

15. kaiserben macrumors member

kaiserben

In fact, I don't care about specs. I will buy next gen MBP in all cases... The actual MBP are powerfull enough already for my use, so the next will be something I will be able to use for at least 3-4 years.

16. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

Yeah, when I was typing I wasn't really going into too much specifics, I was just throwing numbers around really. Day dreaming 'n' all.

I was hoping that I could add the Back To School discount as well, which I am not sure is possible yet.

Top price is £2500 and so a £3000 MBP would comne to £2550 which isn't too much of a push.

17. cube macrumors G5

All sizes:

- Removable battery
    - ExpressCard 2.0
    - USB 3.0
    - SATA 6 Gbps
    - eSATA 3 Gbps with port multiplication
    - FireWire 3200
    - Matte display option
    - Discrete graphics option
    - Quad core option

18. Nuak macrumors member

Expect Arrandale, IPS screens and Nvidia Optimus technology, nothing more. Same design.

19. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I really hope they brung back te express card slot on the 15, and ideally put it in the 13, so I could buy that the next time.
    I really don't won't to get a 17 just for the express card slot, but i use I all he time and it's fast

20. kbt1020 macrumors regular

21. robfromabove macrumors regular

I'm just hoping for the first two. Optimus would be icing on the cake.

22. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

The only thing I expect from the new mbp at this point is that someone is going to make a new thread speculating about new mbp's about once every three minutes.

23. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Amen to the former comment.

24. matthemercyless macrumors member

Personally, I dont think much will change outside of the GPU and CPU upgrades.

AFAIK DDR3 ram is crazy expensive now so I doubt that will be increased on any models.

Blu-ray just isn't going to happen. It could've been added a loooong time ago.

Option of a second HDD isn't going to happen. Apple cut the customisation out of their notebook line a long time ago to simplify the assembly process and cut costs. With the G4 Powerbook you had the option of adding additional discrete GPU memory and the option of downgrading the superdrive if you didnt need it.

USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 wont be on there.

A 13" OLED screen would drain a crazy amount of energy if you were looking at white documents/webpages all day and they're useless in daylight.

I think the MBPs are going to stay pretty much the same. I do think that adding a 3G modem and micro-sim tray might be a good addition though. Again, it aint going to happen.;)

25. canada eh macrumors regular

I would like to see the ix series too, usb 3.0 would be nice, the design is awesome as it is, maybe not as sharp edges but thats it. Better GPU, better options as in the RAM and HDD. nothing drastic, more the innards than the outside, I don't think this was mentioned but a better quality iSight camera would be nice.