What do you expect from the next MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lambros, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Lambros macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking at getting my first macbook pro in the NEXT release (which I guess is around late 2010/early 2011 dont you think?) Anyway, so I was wondering what I should expect from it. And, since I'm quite new to researching about MBPs, I thought people with a bit more experience in how specs/prices change with releases, you guys would be able to tell me what you expect from the next release?

Change in design? What change in specs? Also, price change?

I would prefer if you didnt post if you will simply rant about how one macbook series just got released, and we should wait a bit.

Thanks! :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on when Apple is updating them. If the update is in 2011, we will likely see Sandy Bridge in MBPs, of course depending on Intel. I haven't heard any new about new Arrandale chips but I wouldn't be surprised if Intel comes up with couple new models in later 2010.

My post from other thread:

I doubt they redesign MBPs though, the current design is great

3. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

That hardware would be amazing, although I guess a year from now, every man and his dog will have a blu ray player and usb 3.0...just as soon as the prices drop.

You're definitely right about design, it's great! What do you think about price though? That is...supposing all those updates do happen??

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, we won't see USB 3.0 before 2011 or 2012 as Intel isn't adopting it before. Blu-Ray is something that has been discussed to death, it's up to Apple. All with (?) are very unlikely. Prices should remain same though some models may get price cut or bump

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

As apple just introduced new chipset and graphics solution I guess next revision would only be a minor upgrade.
    Most likely a slight CPU upgrade, but who would know? it's most likely not gonna happen until late autumn.

6. Readover macrumors member

I really do like the design a lot! But I think apple will evolve it into something even better ( as they usually do! ) in maybe the next update or the next one after that. Maybe we'll have to wait until then for USB 3.0 and new Firewire?
    Blu-ray I don't think is happening.. At least until now it hasn't really caught on.. And with faster internet-connections starting to really spread around, I think discs will be more or less obsolete soon... At least for mainstream-users.

7. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

yes very good points. although the design is very sleek/elegant/flashy, apple always seems to have something better on the back burner, which is why a question keeps going through my head, could they by any way make the current macbook design work for a mpb? Then i think, well, it wouldnt actually look good on a bigger laptop like the 17in. If you think about it, for a small computer, the white colour and the curvature really suits it, but once you hit 15in+, i dont think itd work.

we all thought the iphone style was awesome, but they seem to be changing that :S

i guess time will tell, but a minor price cut at the very least would be great as always!

Personally, I expect a core i3/i5 for MBP 13", and I would be overwhelmed with an i7 (then again, who wouldnt?) but for the 15" and 17", CPU cant be upgraded much, GPU is good enough, battery will probably increase by an hour or so, screens are good as they are, and HDD size should increase a bit. but as you all are saying, nothing too major in the next revision.

thanks a lot for your help everyone, good to know im not the only one thinking about the next MBP releases. :apple:

8. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

How many portable blu-ray players do you know of? This could easily be a major selling point for people that have blu-rays but can't watch them on the go.

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Definite:

Faster procs/video

Probable/Possible:

Glossy Hi-Res screen standard (but still optional) or at least price reduction.
    Lightpeak -- if lightpeak is present then FW input goes away and no Apple product will ever have a USB 3 port since you can plug in USB 3 to light peak. Intel and Apple seem hot n' heavy to get the standard out before USB 3 becomes prevalent.

Not happening:

Blu-Ray
    New case design -- unibody is still fairly new by Apple standards.