What do you expect in a Late 2013 rMBP release?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LRFLEW, Feb 17, 2013.

1. LRFLEW macrumors newbie

Ok, so I'm currently looking at the 15-inch rMBP as I want some features missing in my current 13-inch cMBP like a dedicated GPU and the SSD. The thing is, My current computer is still new enough that I can still wait to upgrade if it would be worth the wait (and the resale value lost). As there was just an update, I'm trying to figure out what I could reasonably expect from the next major release. What do you think Apple will do? Here are my thoughts:

CPU: It looks like the next model (assuming there aren't any updates until Q3) will include the new Haswell line of chips. While I don't know what all the new line will include, I would expect another pretty big performance increase.

GPU: Now this is where I don't really know what to expect. Intel claims that the new integrated graphics with the Haswell line is about as powerful as the current dedicated GPU in the latest model (source), so I'm expecting that the 15-inch will also get an upgrade to the GPU. I don't know what the next line of NVIDIA cards are going to be, and I don't know what else is currently available, but a new dedicated GPU sounds like it might happen.

Form and Battery: I put these two together since the battery is the largest component in the computer and most affects it's size. I heard that the Haswell line might offer significantly lower power requirements, which (if true) will affect this. Knowing apple, I'm sure they are perfectly content with the 7-hour battery, and with their desire to decrease the thickness and weight of the machine, I would think that if Intel follows through, we might see a few millimeters cut off.

Ports / Other: I'm not sure what to expect from here. I wouldn't be surprised if they added more ports (like more thunderbolt of usb connectors), but I don't see that likely happening. Outside of that, I don't know what else could be changed.

TL;DR What do you think Apple will do with the next update of the rMBP (specifically the 15-inch)?

2. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

CPU will only be a slight bump nothing really major (unless you're upgrading from something form pre-2010). But when compared to last year nothing really different.

Where it is interesting is the improvement in the integrated graphics from the CPU. It's suppose to go another 50% jump from last gen and this is more of a major thing for the 13 inch rMBP along side the Air/Ultrabooks rather than it is for the 15 inch rMBP due in part because the 15 has it's own GPU.

Despite what Intel has said the internal is still not as powerful as the current GPU seen in the 15 inch. Remember the 15 inch is overclocked. Now granted when you play two games side by side without seeing what exactly the settings were you could make the argument that the internal graphics card is damn impressive but in the ened a dedicated GPU will still be preferred.

GPU is dependent on what Nividia or ATI come up but with anything they'll just create more power efficient chips that are smaller.

The form will stay the same but expect Apple to make subtle changes to the internal factor (that will not be noticeable to anyone) an example would be maybe not gluing in the batteries.

Battery life on paper should be improved with the new chips but then again you should expect the avg. battery life that is currently seen/has been seen for the past few years.

Port wise I doubt it'll change.

3. ragz macrumors newbie

Wondering if i should upgrade my mid 2009 mbp now?

Im currently using a mid 2009 15" mbp. I was about to upgrade to the latest rMbp last week but realized it doesnt have the new processor. Now I am wondering, if it makes sense to wait another 6 months for the haswell based rmbp or just get the current top end qith 756gb ssd. I dont play games but have a lot of pics and home videos. Will a 13" rmbp fit my requirements?

Cheers
    A

4. Suraj R. macrumors regular

I hope its not a late 2013 refresh but instead a refresh at WWDC, I'm in the market for a new Mac and the 15" rMBP is probably the most attractive option. I'll wait till it gets updated, and then I'll pick between the iMac 27 and this. I can wait till the Haswell chips.

5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

In all honesty a Macbook Air sounds more suited for your needs. If not then the current model rMBP 15 will do just fine... no need to go maxed out. Would only consider upgrading the RAM and memory of the SSD if you have the money but no need to upgrade the processor.

With your uses a duel-core would be fine (the quadcore in the rMBP seems overkill)