What do you expect in future iPods for fall 2008

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iParis, Aug 6, 2008.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Upon request I have taken the responsibility of making a making a thread merging all of our rumored theories and thoughts about the iPods for the September update.
    Yes I know there is already a thread for the Apple September update but that has turned into conversation only about the Macs.
    ----------------------
    So just don't talk about the MB, MBP, MBA, or Mac Tablets here.
    I don't care if you talk about the iPhone, just make sure you're referring to the iPhone Nano or something like that.

----------------------
    Here is what a lot of this conversation is going to be about.
    1) iPhone Nano
    2) iPod Nano Touch
    3) iPod Nano being longer/taller
    4) iPod Touch Memory upgrade
    5) iPod Classic Memory upgrade
    6) iPod Classic Merging with Touch
    7) iPod Shuffle Memory upgrade

If you have any other ideas for this thread please tell me.
    ----------------------

Here is what I think will happen to each product:
    iPod Nano - Ahh the Nano. So much stuff about it has been going around. I think there will be a 16GB model for $199. I also believe it may merge with the touch. And these "iPhone Nano" rumors... I guess we'll just have have to wait and see. If the "iPhone Nano" does happen I think it won't have many Apps, and may be like the basic iPhone.

iPod Touch - I have loved this from the start but, it never had enough memory for me. I think that it will have a 64GB model and the 16GB model to start at $299. I believe that it may gain side buttons, a camera, gps, and possibly an HD screen.

iPod Classic - Wow, I have never separated from having a hard drive based iPod. Their large amount of memory is what gets me. Many of you may not agree with me, but as of this year, it's here to stay.I think it's safe to say that we are still going to be able to to see this for another year or two. As of this year, it's here to stay. The iPod Classic will probably come in a 160GB model or a 250GB. Since a lot of the iPods normally double in size, I would normally say a 320GB model would be next, but that would be big leap from 160GB. I think that next year, the Classic will merge with the touch because by that time the iPod Touch will probably have a 128GB hard drive (or at least something like that). I would like to think that the classic will get a better battery life this time around.

iPod Shuffle - Wow, I hate this thing. Not being about to search by artist would make me want to die. But even though I don't know you would be able to control have this much music without a screen, I think they may come put with a 4GB model for $99.

----------------------

Here are links to some of the previous threads about this kinda rumor talk:

iPod Classic:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536812
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536671

iPod Nano:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=533968
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=538654&highlight=iPod+touch

iPhone Nano:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536762

---------------

So what do you expect in future iPods for fall 2008?
    Would you buy an iPhone Nano?
    Do you think the Classic will go off the market?
    How great do you think it will be to have a 64GB Touch?

Share you thoughts! :D

2. telf22 macrumors regular

I am hoping for the tall nano rumor to come true. i really dont like the almost square shape of the current model. 16gb would be perfect. and bring back the back of the 2nd gen nanos.

3. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

At the moment I have my sights set on a new classic. But if the next itouch comes down quite a bit in price, and increases in memory, I may cosider it.

I think its a given that the nanos will be 8gb and 16gb. Not sure if it will change shape this time. I don't really like the rumours of a tall nano, as I wouldn't like having to turn the nano on its side when playing videos. I think that is something usually seen on cheaper mp3 players (However I think in the itouch turning it on its side is necessary to do the screen justice).

Its possible that the itouch gets a minor redesign. Perhaps a different back without that ghastly piece of plastic in the corner.

Classic-Cheaper, more memory, longer battery life. Not much else will come to it I think.

That being said, I would like to see wifi in the classic and nano, maybe just to have an iTunes mini-store for buying tunes on the go, as well as being able to use them as remotes for controlling playback.

Lastly, an fm radio wouldn't go out of place in all of the iPods.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

2 -> 7, but the classic maybe still living? having the option to have one of the other. It'll be intereting to see if they keep the click wheel - there are a few reasons to keep it, and ardent fans of it versus a multitouch display.

5. Jacqueclaude macrumors member

I really doubt a memory upgrade in the iPod classics - no new harddrives are really available.

What I am expecting though, is all the iPods to have the new plastic back like the iPhone 3g.

6. telf22 macrumors regular

but i thought that they were moving away from plastic. or is that just for computers?

7. Jacqueclaude macrumors member

That's actually a good point - but why did they do it with the iPhone 3g? :/

8. telf22 macrumors regular

thats what i dont understand. didnt stevey say that they were moving to more "green" materials?

as long as the next ipods dont have the current shiny backs i'll b happy.

9. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

This is the 5000th topic like this!!

Can Mods please Merge all these topics together? There's at least 3 just on the front page!

This is pretty easy

iPod Shuffle 2GB - 49.99
    iPod Shuffle 4GB - 69.99

iPod Nano 8GB - 149.99
    iPod Nano 16GB - 199.99

iPhone 3G 8GB - 199.99 with Contract
    iPod Classic 160GB - 249.99
    iPhone 3G 16GB - 299.99 with Contract
    iPod Touch 8GB - 299.99
    iPod Classic 250GB - 349.99
    iPod Touch 16GB - 399.99
    iPod Touch 32GB - 499.99

Expect the following for each model

-Better Battery Life
    -Manually Add Contacts/Notes
    -Calculator
    -Something out of the blue we don't see coming

10. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

That's what this is supposed to be, a merged thread.

And... what about the iPod Touch 64GB?

11. Jacqueclaude macrumors member

...I'm under the impression there's no 250gb harddrives that could feasibly be used in the iPod classic?

I doubt there's going to be a larger harddrive, just better battery life or something.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'll believe it when I hear some more concrete rumors. I expect this to be a smaller version of the iPhone with few, if any, missing features, and a much cheaper plan. So about half the total cost of the regular iPhone.

The iPod nano is not going to be discontinued (same with the classic). Why? The iPod nano just changed its UI/OS. If Apple was going to discontinue it, then why did they bother?

However, an additional "iPod touch nano" could happen, and that would reconcile these bits of rumors and speculation:
    • Touchscreen iPod nano
    • Lower priced iPod touch
    • Rumors hinting at the click wheel staying in the iPod nano
    • Apple and 2.8"/3.2" displays which were rumored to go into an "iPhone nano"
    Such a device would have a 320*240 2.8" display.

I think this is likely. That would also mean a larger screen and some sort of accelerometer. Also multi-colored iPod nanos seem likely, and they may be closer to two toned instead of "Flower Power" and "Blue Dalmation." Apple could also add additional features like Wi-Fi.

No memory upgrade (that'll come in early 2009), but lower prices for memory (~$100). The iPod touch may also change its looks to match those of the iPhone.

I can't see this happening because I haven't heard of any 1.8" HDs bigger than 160 GB. So the iPod classic can't have more capacity. Apple would probably lower the prices of both models $50 or so (maybe discontinue the 80 GB). The iPod classic may get a portrait screen and a bigger screen like the iPod nano. Apple could also add additional features like Wi-Fi.

Nope. Two different markets and two different specs. They'll stay different for the forseeable future.

Probably not, as they just had an upgrade early this year. The most we could expect is a color change to multi-color, similar to at last year's event.

Others...
    1. iTunes 8 / iTunes X / Media Me - A new/rewritten/revamped/updated iTunes.
    2. "iWrite" Mini-tablet - Rumored by AppleInsider. All the iPods have been steadily decreasing in price over the years, and with the classic and touch prices going down, the gap between the iPod touch and the MacBook is just getting bigger. A 5"~8" device running an enhanced iPhone OS (as well as iLife / iWork / editable calendar etc.) would fill that gap, as a basic media editor and viewer. It would also partially fill the netbook area.
    And by the way... the iPhone switched to plastic because of better wireless reception.

13. ashxf macrumors newbie

ashxf

I have been eyeballing the 160GB classics since May, and what's held me back are a few reasons:

1) Given the timeline on the ipod wikipedia page, we can see that, since thier initial release, generation 1 through generation 4, ipod released a new generation every year. But when the 5th generation (the video) was released, we then went *2* years before seeing the current 6th gens, now called classics. The pattern of a new ipod release every year was broken with the 5th gens. Given that a lot of people seem to think Apple is trying to move towards flash memory only products, this would seem like a good move. Releasing higher capacity hard drive players every two years instead of every year gives the flash memory a chance to catch up. And the ipod classic will be around as long as the capacity outstrips the flash memory based ipods. Right now, the highest capacity flash player, the 32GB touch, is nowhere near catching up to the 160GB classic. The technology for 160GB flash memory does exist but it's not even in the market yet and would be horribly expensive. However, that does not mean anything, since nobody every really knows what Apple is going to do until Steve walks out on the stage, and so we cannot assume anything regarding the 6th gen classics. It could be we will now see a pattern of memory upgrades to the classic every 2 years to allow for flash to catch up, or we might go back to the pattern of a new ipod classic every year. We just don't know.

2) We know Toshiba now has 240GB capacity drives of the size used in iPods. They have announced it. They plan to make them available in 2009. Does this mean that Apple has ordered pre-release versions of the drive for a Sept 2008 release of 240GB classics? It's certainly possible, but since there has been no word of such an order, I'd say it's unlikely. I'm guessing Toshiba plans to set up mass production for the HDDs and is in the process of doing so. I don't think they would be set up to produce the number of these new drives that Apple would require.

3) Apple has told stores to prepare for an ipod drought of "popular ipod models" but does that mean the classic along with the nano and touch? Classics don't seem to be the power sellers anymore. I fully expect to see updates to the nano and touch, they're high due for one, but the classics? Do we have anything specific on WHICH ipod models will be in shortage or did they mean all of them? A drought of classics would mean some sort of upgrade to them.

So given these, I suspect that Apple has adopted a new pattern of release for the model of ipods we now call classic. If Apple wants to move towards flash based players, time needs to be allowed for them to catch up to HD based players, and setting a 2 year release pattern would allow for this within about 4-6 years.

This means that at most we will likely see in September regarding the classics is perhaps a firmware upgrade and a price drop in time for Christmas. I don't think we'll see any changes to it as far as capacity.

This leave me in a quandary of sorts.

My current collection is around 142 GB of music. It's still growing. I currently own a 30GB 4th gen ipod, an 8gb nano and a 60GB Creative Zen. None of them allow me to take my entire music collection with me, and I'm somebody who wants access to any song I own at any time. I hate having to constantly swap out between my players and still be pinched for space.

That 160GB classic looks real good right now. Still, amazing as it sounds, even 160GB sounds like it'll become cramped soon enough. (I do want to be able to put some movies on it) A 240GB ipod would be much better.

If Apple DOES release a higher than 160GB ipod in September, I'll get that one. But if they don't, I can either wait a year to see if they even do release a higher ipod, or risk wasting money (which is very tight) on a 4th MP3 player that might end up being cramped in about 7-8 months, forcing me to shell out another couple hundred if a bigger ipod is released in a year from now.

I'm not someone that likes to buy a new gadget every year, i like to get about 2-3 years of reasonable use out of it. I suppose I could always ebay my unused players.

So if nothing changes in September for the classics, should I just get one?

---Ashley

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

So it looks like this upcoming update will not feature a capacity bump.

If that's the case it doesn't necessarily mean a capacity increase.

Yes.

15. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Oh, my bad, getting new glasses next week!

Apparently the flash drive is too big to fit in the iTouch

16. atoothelex macrumors member

atoothelex

I want a bigger hard drive!!! I actually fill up every square inch of my 160GB and i want more memory. From what i understand, there isn't a 1.8" HD larger than 160GB. I also think Wi-Fi is way out of the question. It would take too much tweaking to include wi-fi. The same goes with wireless headphones. I don't want wireless headphones, cuz i like earbuds and there isn't such a things as wireless earbuds. I would like a larger screen though.

17. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Same here.
    But unfortunately from what everybody else is saying, I don't think we'll see a larger hard drive this time around.
    We also never know, Apple always surprises us.
    And I think that if we don't see a hard drive bigger than 160GB in September, then we're bound to see one a little after Christmas (February) like they did for the memory upgrade for the Touch.

18. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Well if it is too big then I suspect a price drop in the Touch.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Like virtually everyone else who has posted, I'd love to see a bigger hard drive on the classic; equally, if not more importantly, I'd also really love to see battery power and duration improved hugely; I travel a lot, and it's not always possible to re-charge en route. Battery duration and life have long been a bit of a weak point with the iPod. I love the classic; quite apart from the considerable memory size, it has a satisfying solidity to it; certainly, it is what I will purchase for my next iPod.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic 30 GB

20. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I wonder how long it will be before Apple could get a flash drive in the classic. Probably not this time, but a year from now I could see them getting a 128gb drive into one. Which makes me want to get a classic now, it could be the last ever hdd based iPod. (Surely an antique in the future!!).

I would consider a touch if they brought the 32gb way down in price. Far to expensive at the moment in my opinion. I think this refesh the main thing that will happen is a reduction in price in all iPods, except the nanos maybe.

21. BJWanlund macrumors regular

Here's what I'm thinking:

Classic: going bye-bye. I can see why Apple doesn't want hard drive-based iPods (too unreliable to work just right) and their move to flash-based iPods has shown this to be the case. The ONLY way Apple could POSSIBLY be keeping the Classic around is if they did a massive upgrade with a touch screen and an FM radio. If Apple released the iPod Touch Classic, the revamped Classic with a touch screen and about the same thickness of the iPhone 3G, AND it didn't have a hard drive in it, I'd personally be surprised.

Nano: This one's on its last legs. Who the hell wants to see that miniscule screen for video?? The "Taller" Nano rumor definitely makes sense to me because the current Nano is just too damn small, both in terms of the screen size and the device itself.

iTouch: Let's face it, Apple wants so badly to make this the flagship of their product line, and the thinness of the iTouch currently will turn many people (such as myself) off of buying it until a) the price comes way down, and b) the thinness issue gets resolved.

Shuffle: Drop this like a lead balloon. Too easily loseable (although that could be said of the Sansa as well) and too weird to play music on.

ALL MODELS: An AM/FM radio (maybe even Sirius/XM for a nominal fee?), and Wi-Fi networking built into every single iPod model (it's about time!).

BJ

22. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

There will never be a flash drive in the Classic.
    It will turn in to a Touch by the time that happens.
    If they do get a 128GB flash drive - I'm predicting fall '09 - it will most likely go in the Touch.

The iPod Touch is probably going go down $100 for all models and they may drop the 8GB model.

The nano will probably be refreshed at $149 for the 8GB and $199 for a new 16GB model.