What do you get with older OSX software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Nov 30, 2007.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I have OS9.2.1 and I'm upgrading to OSX but not Leopard, one of the older versions. The only snag is that I can't find any info about what you get with the various OS X's. There are plenty of web pages that set off to list the apps etc but all the pages seem to have been updated to show what you get with Leopard.
    Is there anywhere I can look to get the info I want?
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Nothing. It's iLife that is the friendly bundle of apps that comes with a mac, sometimes it's on the CD, sometimes it's not. I can't help you with that unless you tell me the version.

However.

All my favourite software is open source or at least free for download.
    Here's a brief list of things that are free n good: quicksilver, itunes, VLC, neoffice (way better than word), firefox, Max cd ripper, Burn (Cd burner)

You can google those apps on that matter google has a really good office suit built into it's email as well.

but check out www.freemacware.com which has all of these and more

3. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's surprised me.
    I thought all the stuff that gets hyped with OSX were apps that came with the operating system itself.
    Do you know if this iLife thing is version sensitive or will any version of iLife work with any OSX?
    Cheers,
    Steve

4. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Yes iLife comes with OSX, but I think for older version it came on a separate disk. But I'm not too sure as on my ibook it all came preinstalled and then i upgraded to 10.4... If you're using 10.4 it comes on the CD. I could dig up my PPC copy of iLife '06 and post it to you.
    Which programs exactly were you hoping to use? The best consumer software on mac osx tends to be open source because its kernel is built on GNU/Linux. I use neoffice instead of word, and VLC instead of quicktime, etc.

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The wayback machine remembers all.

Here's the tiger video tour for the new features added in 10.4

You can do wayback machine searches to find all the info about each released version of OS X. Heck, you can search how their website looked even back to the OS 9 days!

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'm almost certain that you're wrong. The full iLife suite is included when you purchase a new Mac, but when you just buy the OS off the shelf it only includes iTunes (and maybe iPhoto too?). iLife is a separate software bundle that you have to buy if you want it.

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

8. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

My head hurts now, lol
    At least I have found out about the freeware Mac site today.
    I am almost certainly going to go for Panther. I was thinking of Tiger but I can get a new retail Panther for a third the cost of Tiger and I'm not a power user, just a dabbler.
    What I said earlier about not being able to find info about the various versions of OSX also seems true of iLife. Even putting iLife 06 into Google takes you to a site updated to iLife 08.
    Anyone know if iLife 06 will work with Panther, 350MHz Blue and White G3 tower with 512 RAM?
    Cheers,
    Steve

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

If no one gives you an answer you can track that info down using the wayback machine.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

From Amazon:

Mac OS X v10.3.9 or v10.4.3 or later; v10.4.4 recommended
    PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, or Intel Core processor; 733 MHz or faster for iDVD
    256 MB RAM; 512 MB recommended
    iTunes 6.0.2 and QuickTime 7.0.4 (included)
    DVD drive for installation
    10 GB available disk space
    High-definition video requires 1 GHz G4 or faster and 512 MB RAM
    Burning DVDs requires an Apple SuperDrive or compatible 3rd-party DVD burner
    iPhoto print services are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan, and select European countries; requires Internet access; fees and terms apply
    .Mac account required for iPhoto Photocast publishing and recommended for iWeb; the .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older; annual membership fee and Internet access required; terms and conditions apply
    iWeb requires Internet and Web-server access (.Mac recommended); the .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older; annual membership fee and Internet access required; terms and conditions apply
    Mac OS X v10.4.4 required for iPhoto Photocast publishing, iChat recording in GarageBand, and Audio FX in iMovie HD; additionally iMovie HD requires Quartz Extreme for themes, real-time effects, and the Ken Burns Effect; iChat video conferencing requires broadband Internet connection; fees may apply

According to the above, you need a G4 for '06 to work.

11. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I have that computer. I wouldn't bother with imovie or idvd unless you want to wait a day for your stuff to load.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It looks like the last version of iLife to run on a 350Mhz G3 was iLife 04. iLife 05 required a 400Mhz G3 minimum, and iDVD will never work on a G3.

13. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, guys.
    I guess it's a case of using the freeware type stuff to see if a Mac is going to be my way forward before splashing out my hard earned cash for a machine with the spec needed to run the latest software.

14. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I think you should only consider Tiger at this point. You should not have to pay that much for Tiger on ebay (retail box version only).

Why? There are many software programs you will run into that only work with some variation of Tiger or newer. For that reason alone I updated to Tiger back when I did.

15. iCube macrumors 6502

Are you installing OS X "on top of" OS 9 to run in "Classic" to run OS 9 apps while in OS X? If so, make sure it's up to 9.2.2! Make sure your machine's firmware is up to date too! Many extra apps like Appleworks etc come on retail machines only, not in OS X. You'll have many apps, but not all. Get 10.3 minimum, get 10.4 if possible! :rolleyes: