What do you guys clean your phone (screen) with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SweetLou122, Dec 13, 2011.

1. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

As I am sure most of you guys know, phones can easily become breeding grounds for bacteria, not to mention just generally get dirty. I was cleaning my phone with some ipa (70%) and a microfiber, and wondered, how does everyone else usually clean/disinfect their phone? Are some methods damaging to screen protectors? (I only ask because I just installed the pricey ps anti glare).

Ill probably just do an alcohol wipe down once a week. Thoughts?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Disinfect my phone? what the... :confused:

I guess I could see disinfecting for someone who is a germ-a-phobe, but a simply wipedown with the microfiber cloth or against my jeans is good for me.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Disinfect? Who are you, Howard Hughes? I just use my shirt to wipe the finger smudges.

5. 808? macrumors 6502a

Whatever t-shirt I maybe wearing at the time.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

my breath and my clothes.

but if i want a super clean and i'm bored, i'll do it with an iklear spray with a microfiber cloth.

8. Sirolway macrumors 6502

My shirt, making sure to avoid any buttons that might scratch it.
    If the screen is particularly dirty, I lick it first.

Been doing that for the better part of 3 years & iPhone and I seem to have survived ok ...

9. PaulyD macrumors 6502

T-shirt, jeans, jacket, a cat

Whatever is handiest

10. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I use a Brillo pad...it cuts through my ear grease...

LOL ok seriously, microfiber.

11. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I'm sure cleaning it with IPA is making the oleophobic coating useless/removed. AFAIK you are supposed to clean it with a damp cloth when it's really dirty, but just wiping it off with the t-shirt or a microfiber cloth should be enough thanks to the special coating that is on the glass.

Which is there just because it should be easy to wipe off any dirt or fingerprints to begin with. So using any alcohol is as far as i know not recommended!

12. lamboman macrumors 6502

Isopropyl alcohol shouldn't remove the coating, it isn't a strong cleaner, it is just alcohol.

However, any type of abrasive cleaner should of course not be used, as it will remove the coating.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Apple disagrees.

I can't imagine disinfectants are really that necessary if you're not a filthy bastid!

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Pffftttt. Clean the screan.

I just replace the screen protector everyday. Why do think they give you two protectors when you buy the PowerSupport package? So you don't have to buy a pack everyday, just every other day.

15. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

From Apple:

Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. The front and back glass surfaces have an oleophobic coating.

16. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Just alcohol? What do you mean? What is "just alcohol", are you trying to refer to it as it would be anything more than water? Then why even use alcohol if it's "just alcohol"?

I'm sure apple has listed that you shouldn't use anything like alcohol on an oleo phobic screen. It makes all the sense too why it is, because a coating can always be removed and alcohol is a very strong disinfection or cleaner used to clean electronics and in medical purposes.

17. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Drats! So much for using a bit of my nightly vodka to clean my screen. :-(

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I use my stinky breath and the spit of a hobo.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Mostly just microfiber cloth. Occasionally Monster ScreenClean with the microfiber cloth.

20. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Been cleaning my idevices with a little bit of alcohol, a damp paper towel, and wiping dry with a microfiber since my first iPhone in 2007. Haven't seen any issues with the coating coming off whatsoever.

21. james92se macrumors 6502a

Same here, I've used alcohol since day 1 on the first gen. iPhone with no issues or coating loss whatsoever.

I know people earlier in the thread balked at the idea but studies have shown time and time again that modern touch-screen phones are dirtier than you think and carry crazy amounts of bacteria (18x the amount of bacteria on a toilet handle!). This isn't just some OCD obsession here. You're in denial if you think your cell phone isn't a proverbial walking petri dish of germs and bacteria - yes, even if only YOU use the phone. A microfiber cloth or rub against clothing does nothing germ/bacteria wise, all it does is get rid of the finger smudges.

I try to clean (yes, with rubbing alcohol) my iPhone once a week or two.

22. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I use a damp micro fiber then finish it off with a dry micro fiber.

23. andyx3x macrumors 65816

24. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yup I've used quick spray of alcohol or from a small detailing spray for our vehicles (fast clean and shine by duragloss which has some antistatic properties as well).... been cleaning the phones like that since day 1 and a quality microfiber, no problems. Regardless of what Apple says not to use, I have never seen one complaint or issue from anyone using a quick spray of alcohol to clean.