What do you guys do with MBP? what's your intensive tasks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montblanc1, Oct 22, 2010.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

I've got the 15" MBP 371, which should be strong and powerful enough to handle most of the tasks. But it seems to me I don't use it to do heavy and intensive stuff at all, all I do is surf the Internet, and watch 720P movies sometimes. So I am just wondering if you can recommend me some "intensive" task, so that I can make the most use of my Pro!!

Thank s

2. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

- Gaming
    - Editing movies (not sure how intensive this is)
    - Using intensive graphics applications

It seems a little pointless just to do a task because it's "intensive" though? :confused:

3. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

The 2 times my mac runs hard and very hot, is:
    -Starcraft 2 on high settings.
    -Media files conversion to different formats.

At one time I changed my entire Music folder from .Mp3 into .M4a. Even when doing only 2 songs at a time, with a Targus cooling pad, the machine was running at average 86-93 degrees C. If I changed the settings and let it (app called MAX) convert more than 2, the temprature jumped a lot. The first time I used it, I was doing 8 songs at a time. I quickly learned to change it to a max of 2, b/c my temps were 140C+.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've found that damn near everyone on this board is a pro photographer/cinematographer, gamer, coder, theoretical quantum physicist, business owner and IT nerd who runs like 50 VMs at the same time.

Try one or all of the above at the same time, irrespective of your skill (Photoshop is great to have in the Dock, even if you don't use it).
    If you wanna go really xXTrEm3Xx you can run benchmarks over and over again.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not me ;) I could well do with a white Macbook, but I simply like the extra features of a MacBook Pro. And if someone says "I own a MacBook", I can say "I own a MacBook Pro".

Besides, if your going to choose a computer for the next 3-4 years - Why not pay the $200 extra for a Pro?

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I use Lightroom quite a bit, handbrake occasionally and VMware quite often all of which are quite CPU intensive. LR and HB will send CPU load to 200% and on my early 08 mbp, LR crawls.

However, the app that most consistently uses a high CPU load is Firefox, for some reason opening simple webpages can send CPU load to 40% and flash intensive sites like youtube will use up 60-80%.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I occasionally do editing in FCP, quite often I use Photoshop and that gets my MBP going!!

8. randomosity macrumors newbie

Music production, Ableton Live
    WoW...
    Photoshop

9. mxulive macrumors newbie

Med school, internet, iTunes, Starcraft II... in that order.

10. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Right now just interneting which makes me feel I overpaid for the 15"... However once I have more money I plan n buying Windows 7 for bootcamp and get PhotoShop for OSX. I have no software really yet.... /fail.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I use my 13" MacBook Pro for:

•Writing
    •Internet
    •Rigs of Rods
    •Blender

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Mac:
    yes > /dev/null
    AutoCAD
    Photoshop CS5
    Office 2011

Windows:
    Solidworks 2010
    Mastercam X4

13. DJ-R macrumors regular

Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Illustration
    Adobe Flash (majorly)
    Adobe Premiere Pro
    Adobe Southbooth
    Adobe After Effects
    Maya 2011 (modeling rendering animation)
    Web programming
    Max MSP Jitter (Virtual sound programming)
    Processing.org (intensive programming into visual display)
    Gaming (Bootcamp and some on OSX)
    Aperture 3
    VirtualBox (windows on OSX)
    1080p Movies
    + Internal 1080p screen

Getting 8GB ram soon (in shipment).

I will have most of those applications running all time.

Aside from noob application (non-intensive) Words doc... internet, email, ... what else lol

This is how intensive I am myself and the computer is never enough for me. At work: Mac Pro 6-8 cores CPU

My work life, web to print, code to visual and concept to live animation.

the name graphic designer... is old school. anyone can be one but how good can you start with?

14. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Hahahaha very nice.

I have always wandered why so many people need so many VM's. But I often hear "20 VM's" and I'm like :confused:

As for me, I just like experimenting with my MBP, run all kinds of stuff and learn new skills, however none of my work actually requires powerful computers. I am a hobbyist Photographer so LR gets used often.

I recommend setting up a Folding@Home Account, that will use your CPU.

15. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Why don't you rip a few favorite DVDs and transcode them for your MBP and if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, encode for these as well? Applications: RipIt + Handbrake (or Handbrake by itself for most movies).

And don't be afraid to multitask: open iTunes and listen to the radio while you web browse with several windows/tabs open at once, etc.

16. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

17. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I don't do much intensive stuff on my MBP. I play a few games in BootCamp and I do use Lightroom frequently. I mostly got my MBP because at the time I hated the white plastic MacBooks, wanted discrete graphics, and wanted a 15" screen. I could probably get on pretty well now with a 13" MBP.

18. Bdpmax macrumors newbie