What do you guys do with old p.c.'s?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by machanback, Mar 8, 2008.

1. machanback macrumors member

I've got an old dell(about 10 yo) and a sony vaio (4 yo) I don't use them anymore. should I just give them to good will? I doubt that I could get anything for them.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I put Linux on them or put them in a closet to run simple things like file serving or as a router.

Goodwill is a good option as well but make sure your data is off of it.

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

my pII450 dell is a 2TB file server (connected to macs by using ethernet).

4. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I pulled the HD out of my old Gateway, physically destroyed it, and took the rest to the local computer recycler. Apple does offer a recycling program, but I didn't need it.
    Morod

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I don't buy desktops, so clutter is nearly non-existent. Of the six computers I went through last year, two were sold to strangers, two were given to family, one was thrown in the garbage, and the sixth became my primary machine.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Good Will or a similar charity is a good option

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Another option, which I do sometimes, is clean up my computer and make sure it is running well. Then sell it for a very cheap price to someone who needs a computer but cannot afford a new one.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I would chuck the 10 year one as it's 100% worthless and probably can't run any current programs. The 4 year one however I would keep in case you need it to run a PC only program.

10. dringkor macrumors member

Hmm, my Goodwill specifically does not accept computers. With old PCs, parts is parts, and you can usually put together a free or cheap server. I have an old PC that I installed Linux on that currently servers as my home DNS, DHCP, and backup server. I also have a fairly beefy PC that I built and installed Solaris on that currently runs my website with Apache, MySQL, and PHP & Perl.