what do you guys do with your old HDs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HBOC, Oct 8, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, in the next month or so, after i buy AC for my laptop, I am going to upgrade the HD to a 500GB 7200RPM drive.

I was wondering to those that upgrade your internal HDs, what do you do with them? DO you buy an external enclosure? I know I will need to keep it, for warranty purposes, but I would want to put it to use, ya know?

What enclosure would be a good one? I just don't wanna spend a ton on an enclosure, as external drives are getting cheap..

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I usually get USB external enclosures on Ebay. They are very inexpensive.

3. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I second that - I've had a couple of enclosures off eBay for about a fiver.

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I put my old MBP drive in my PS3 then just kept the PS3 drive as a large portable drive. I have one of those toaster looking docks for drives. I can plug a laptop or full size drive in and use it. No need for dedicated enclosure. Just need a safe storage place for the drives when not in use.

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I used to get enclosures, but got fed up with messing about with them. Now I have a desktop enclosure (an Akasa one). Means I can swap out 3.5 and 2.5 disks for backups etc. Works rather well.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I like to get inexpensive metal enclosures just for the "protection" of the original HDD...a few bucks for the extra piece of mind is worth it IMHOP.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I usually just put them to somewhere in closet or something and if I need more HD space I take a look is there any. I get quite a lot of HDs from my work which I never even use (some old stock stuff and those which I take from repair, but never enough big ones :mad:). I don't really use smaller than 1TB drives because smaller ones fills up so fast

8. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

I either buy an enclosure or if the space is less then 500gb i take a sledgehammer to it and then take it to a skip because you dont want people sneaking at your files lol[​IMG]

9. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

hey if you actually do that to hard drives with less the 1/2 TB, send one to me. The largest I have is 500GB..

10. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I usually open mine up to see where the numbers live, and let them free!

11. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I put them in my server. So far, it consists of 2.58 TB of drives. Not too bad for a poor college student. :)

12. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Time Machine and OS clones. Not to mention they're convenient to have around when the itch to try a new OS comes up.