What do you guys do with your watch when driving?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by robaroo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. robaroo macrumors regular

Mine turns on every time I turn. Or just move my hand on the steering wheel. Do you guys take it off? Turn it off? Or just ignore it?

2. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Ignore. I'm driving

3. Dhonk macrumors member

Once I get one, I'll be charging it in the car just like I touch up the charge of my iPhone 6. 20-40 minutes when I won't need to see things

4. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Are you having issues holding a good charge to the end of the day? If not, I would just ignore it.

5. jm5309 macrumors regular

I try to ignore it, but it really bugs me. Sometimes I turn off wrist raise.

6. sbharj macrumors member

I keep mine on and just live with it coming on when I turn right lol.

I have noticed on my commute into work my exercise band in the activity app goes up. I haven't done any exercise today but my watch thinks I've done 12 mins! (I do have a stressful commute - 17 miles takes 1 to 1.5 hours)

7. J.C macrumors 6502

I think you'll find you won't charge at all during the day. Once a day is all you need. I can get 2 days out of mine. The idea of taking your watch off to charge during the day will hopefully seem crazy to you soon.

----------

Mine comes on while driving but I can't see how people can complain about the face not being always on then also complain about it coming on too often ;)

I just look at the watch when I want to and don't care what it's doing when I'm not looking. It's a watch remember :)

8. cjrzasa macrumors member

I've used mine twice now for navigation. One time I needed it and one time I didn't. I do a lot of driving for my job (outside sales type thing) so I wanted to familiarize myself with how the taptic feedback felt for navigation. I can't see using it for anything else since most things require two hands and I drive a stick shift so that's two hands too many ;)

9. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

I've mentioned this in a couple threads (wish list, etc) - but, both the phone and watch need to be more car aware. The phone should know, based on its bluetooth pairing that it's in the car and give that handshake to the watch.

Then, the watch would understand not to come on as you're using your hands for driving. (needs to also understand the subtlety of a lift raise vs a wheel motion).

Lots of other good things that would come with that - Siri audio when in the car, have your iPhone do most of the work (because it's likely plugged in).

Ideally, Apple should make all of this highly customizable by the user. (if I find the watch microphone to be more responsive than my built in hands free, please use the watch mic - for example).

Just one of the many areas for improvement I'm sure we'll see over the coming months / years with these. :)

10. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

I just turn off the wrist activation. I have a 1.5-2 hour commute a few days every week so it's just wasting battery life.

If I didn't have Bluetooth in the car, I may have been inclined to keep it on for Siri, but other than that, I don't see the point (for my circumstances).

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't have mine yet so hard to say how that would affect me. I try to keep my eyes on the road, not my arms so the only time it might be noticeable to me is at night. If it becomes a PITA I'll just turn off the "raise" setting.

But seems like Apple needs to add a "car mode" feature that the user could speak to Siri. Even allow the user to set the time parameters based on the anticipated length of the drive. Ex: "Car mode 20 minutes." Makes you wonder how Apple didn't notice these "real life" functionality issues when testing.

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

13. robaroo thread starter macrumors regular

It definitely bugs me. I think that in the future Apple should develop a quick way to put the watch in "driving mode" so that it doesn't turn on off on off while driving.

Maybe by just saying "Hey Siri Drive Mode On" when getting going and then "Hey Siri Drive Mode Off" when you're done.