What do you guys look for in a socialnetworking site?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BowZinger, Dec 8, 2007.

1. BowZinger macrumors member

Hey all, I am just wondering what you all look for in a social networking site?

I myself was a member of myspace and then just stopped using it so I deleted my account, switched over to facebook and I hate that too! I just haven't deleted my account.

I was talking with a bud today and we were thinking about creating our own social networking site. So I ask what would you guys like to see?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Hmm... I am not a fan of them to be honest. Now I am on facebook, it's too late almost.

4. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

What I look for(ward to) is the implosion of that entire genre along with all its infernal breadcrumb-tracking agencies. Bring on the "Supermassive Black Hole" -- one of my fave Muse albums, shakin' the floor as I write.

Alternatively, and somewhat more realistically, I look for maximum transparency in data collection efforts, starting with default = OPT IN.

See, I was always a fan of walking up to a random newsstand in NYC and making the vendor's day by parting with cash for my copy of the Times, the Post, the News or whatever else caught my eye as I headed for the train.

Okay, so once I was on the train I might notice who else was reading what I was reading and vice versa, but I so seriously don't remember any of us jumping up and high-fiving each other over discovering that we were both looking at the same exact 47th Street Photo ad at the same time on the same car of the Seventh Ave Express.

And I def don't remember anyone stopping me on the way from the subway station to the Chinese Cuban place and saying "Hey, I was just on the train too, ALSO reading the Post!!, and get this, I'm going to the Chinese Cuban place too, wow, is that amazing or what? Are you getting the vieja ropa or the lo mein??? Can I walk with you???"

I mean really, WTF.

Well good luck anyway with your new take on social networking if you decide to do it. It's probably more fun to go help frame out the latest local project of Habitat for Humanity. For one thing, it's extremely likely that the people you will meet there will be as worthwhile meeting as you are!

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Anything but myspace. I technically have an account there, but have never filled out any profile information, and I haven't returned to it since I signed up. Yet I still receive notifications that various sundry numbnuts out there want to be my "friend." :rolleyes:

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I need the people I know to be on it, and it must have a general good design. Facebook has great, until they added apps....

Still its good enough for me to go on....

7. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I think it should be limited otherwise you have all these random 12 year olds connecting to you.

My favorite social networking site is aSmallWorld because its well small.

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Lots of T&A gets me to click the link, which then always redirects. Sigh, I don't know why I always fall for that.

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I've been on Facebook almost since it started, mostly because a lot of my friends were on there and told me about it. I continue to use Facebook because that's where my friends are. What's a social networking site without friends?

10. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Very true!

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Having successfully resisted my friends demands that I join Facebook for the best part of a year, I finally succumbed now that I'm travelling around the world.

And if I'm honest it's become as important to my travels as my passport and digital camera! I get to keep in touch with all of my friends back home, plus those that I've met whilst I've been away.

So what's the most important thing about a social-network site? That'll be having your friends on it with you!

:)