iPhone X What do you guys make of this screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecarrot, Apr 5, 2018.

1. thecarrot macrumors regular

I am still within my 14 day return window; would you return this device if it were yours? Everything else with the device is perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top image is with night shift on and the bottom is with it off.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

3. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

There is only a problem if you think there is a problem.

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

A touch of blue shift in the lower left corner. wouldn't bother me however. I could see it being annoying if you used your phone exclusively for observing n unchanging white screen. Good thing that's not how most of us use the phone.

5. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Exactly. But it might drive the next person crazy. Asking personal opinions on a forum about whether you should return a device based on a picture of the screen isn't really going to help much.

6. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

Oh i'd return that....

All the icons are missing.

7. willmtaylor, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

+3 internets for you!!! Thank you for that. Made my morning.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2018 ---
    Is the screen wiped completely clean and free of all fingerprints and oil?

8. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

9. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

You win the internet....That so made me LOL :)
    Seriously though, I don't see the issue.

10. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I wouldn't because there's no perfect screen and it doesn't even bother the usability of the device, for me.

11. jetho macrumors member

jetho

First of all what is suppose to be wrong with the screen. I don‘t see any apparent damage.

Judging the color temperature by looking at your pictures is completely pointless since you most definitely didn‘t color calibrate the picture/camera itself.

12. orev macrumors 6502

Unless there's obvious damage, whatever issue you're seeing in real life does not translate well to a picture. You need to provide a better description of what issue you think you're seeing.

13. thecarrot thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies, everyone :) You guys all make some really good points and I realize that ultimately, this is probably a dumb thread.

At any rate, I didn't mention what I think the issue might be so as not to create any confirmation bias. But I think that it might have a pink hue around the top/right edge of the screen. I can mitigate it via the color filter setting but feel like for this expensive of a phone, that shouldn't be necessary (that also makes the screen much cooler than I would prefer). This is my second X btw - my first one didn't have any screen issues but had a gap/some scuffing out of the box (seemed like it was re-sold or something). It's quite possible I'm just being too picky with this second one, hence the thread to see whether it's something objective.

14. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I don't see a pinkish hue ... maybe a rosy glow.

15. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

I see a perfectly working iPhone X & yet another person LOOKING for “issues.” Just enjoy the phone & stop making yourself crazy over it...

P.S: A DFU restore should bring those icons back

16. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

Really? That's all you see? You don't see the person who may not be familiar with OLED screen variations, and color shifts, looking for some advice as to weather or not he may have a problem?

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Although somewhat True, pictures of someone else’s display on the internet and judging artifacts doesn’t always provide a clear path of what they may see. If Somebody was unsure of a defect or anomaly, the most logical choice would be to make a genius appointment before their Return period.

18. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

No, I never am looking at an all white screen.

19. ZipZap macrumors 603

20. Racineur macrumors 6502

Racineur

I see an ugly screen for sure and I would return it hoping the lottery will favor me. You're looking at a white screen more often than you think but the eye is attracted to a flashy icon instead of the white background that's why most people don't notice. At the end, it's how much this bothers you.

21. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

What about her eyebrows?

22. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I don't think you will be satisfied. You don't seem comfortable with this size investment and will likely scrutinize every aspect, no mater how many times you trade your phone in... I would suggest taking it back and getting yourself a value based phone, either from Apple or other vendor and put your mind at ease...

The bottom line is these are disposable electronics and they are not manufactured to the same degree as a luxury car or a bespoke suit... you are better off getting something you won't be as fussy about.

Sorry if this comes off sounding cold or callous. Just some honest advice...

23. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

LOL...indeed I did :)
    What.....we are not all genius's here :)?

24. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Who cares about eyebrows?

25. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

It is hard to evaluate screens based on photos, particularly photos of OLED screens, as the camera picks up irregularities not seen by the naked eye and based on the position of the phone it may just be picking up color shift. If the screen looks uneven to you, I would try looking at other examples of the iPhone X in the Apple store or showing it to an Apple genius. In my experience the Apple employees never see color irregularities so I think your best bet is comparing your phone to others in the store. My X has a hardly visible, narrow pink line running down the right side and when I looked at other phones in the store, most had a little pink somewhere. The screen is otherwise beautiful and I'm happy with it. I don't even notice the pink anymore and I'm picky when it comes to screens.