What do you guys recommend for a web designer/software developer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cryer, Jul 3, 2010.

1. cryer macrumors regular

So after extensive research and in-store viewing of glossy or antiglare... I still don't know. And I've searched through this forum quite well. But i just don't know how a glossy will serve me for what i need to do.

I've been using an old mbp that only ever had a matte screen available and before that i had a PowerBook. So i guess i'm used to a matte screen so i thought maybe something different would be good and thought about getting glossy. But lots posts here swayed me into thinking antiglare would be best. After all, it is what im used to. But it's true, color is more vivid on glossy. But i won't be looking at photos or video for the majority of usage. Much more text based stuff. But is antiglare better for this or is it just a myth that it is and glossy is just fine with no eye strain?

Also, what about i5 or i7 for my uses? I will be doing software development and web design work (Xcode, adobe stuff -Photoshop, fireworks, illustrator, running a vm for windows). With plenty of web surfing and hulu. Also using 90% of the time indoors.

So.... What to do.... Thanks in advance for everyone's help, it's my biggest purchase and matters most for my work and life so I want to make sure it's right.

Ps. I'm set on the 17" for the biggest resolution.

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

it just comes down to outside or inside... EDIT (You Do) i would assume you work inside, why wouldn't you get glossy?

i5 is perfectly fine.

EDIT 2 def go for hi res.

3. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Well,not a professional here,but if you use your laptop at all outside get antiglare.And processor wise,for all the stuff your doing get a i7,much faster for multitasking and it will serve you well for several years. Hope that helps.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You should get the anti glare if the smaller fonts do not bother you. You could also consider using the $150 premium toward an IPS external monitor, if you will be at a desk most of the time. Any of the MacBooks should otherwise meet your requirements although it seems you have already decided on a 15". This is probably a better decision anyways if you are going to be spending quite a bit of time using adobe software.

5. cryer thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I'm getting the 17", it is already hi-res

So if I don't work outside, get glossy? Opinions seem pretty split though... same for i5 or i7

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

If you got the money, without a doubt go for the i7 with the glossy. Especially for what you will be doing, the extra power won't hurt at all. And the glossy screen is a sure beauty from what I have seen. :)

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Get the glossy. its not THAT reflective like some people say ;)

8. cryer thread starter macrumors regular

This seems to tell a different story though:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=925364&highlight=xcode

Anyone have any thoughts?

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

This will be your computer, right? The why do you care what other people think? Go to an Apple store, look at the various models, and decide which one is right for you!
    The i5 will save you about 200 dollars and give you about 90% of the power of the i7, and that 90% is a lot of power anyway.
    High Res or not is a very personal decision, note the term "personal."
    I work on my MBP 2009 up to 12 hours a day, usually 8, and the glossy screen at the standard res. is just right for me, although I could adapt to a HR matte screen if it was necessary, like if that was the only choice, which isn't the case today. And the C2D at 2.53GHz is not slow by any means, so I expect that the i5 or i7 will be MORE than enough for what you do. However, if you really need processing power, for serious photoshop work or video/sound editing get an iMac or Mac Pro.
    In any case, the decision is yours and no one can make that decision for you, all the opinions here are no more than that, opinions, not as some would have you think, absolute, unmovable principles.

10. cryer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your opinion and personal experience that I'm not supposed to listen to :p

If you had actually read what I wrote, I said I already went to the store. I never said anyone is making a choice for me, why jump to such a conclusion? Just interested in others' experience in case they may be similar and have something worthwhile to advise. You know, like a forum. I really don't get why people say such silly things but thanks for the philosophy lesson anyway.

11. whalebiologist macrumors newbie

Definately get the Anti-glare. I had a glossy screen and staring at code for 8 hours REALLY messes your eyes up on a glossy. I have pretty much perfect eyes too.

I'm really loving my Anti-glare, no eyestrain! :D

Also, i5 is more than sufficient, but get an i7 if you have the money to spend I guess.

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Forget the glossy, it's a pain. It's not just the reflections and it's not just that you cannot use it outdoors at all - colours look unnatural on it too. Web design is not my area of expertise, but I made a few sites with RapidWeaver. It happened to me a few times that clients complained about products looking dull and dark on the screen. They just don't understand that on their computers, their websites will look slightly different.

Respect your eye, clients and colours - forget the hyper-mega glossy screens.

13. macagain macrumors regular

The #1 best thing for you to get is a large external monitor! I web apps dev with Eclipse and Xcode. Last year I finally got a 24" 1920x1200, and immediately kicked myself for not having done it a lot sooner.

The Apple 24" led backlit display is stunning. For less $, the HP ones are nice too. Even a cheapo one like I got (Sceptre) when calibrated properly is much better on the eyes.

I know, not your original question... but thought I'd chip in my 2 cents... my point is with the type of work you do, a nice big screen would make more diff than ag vs. glossy.

BTW, I went from ag on old mbp to glossy on new. The glare is really not bad. Truth of the matter is, when it's time to get a new mbp, I don't know which I would choose! It'll probably come down to 51/49 glossy, taking the vivid colors over 100% absence of glare...

14. cryer thread starter macrumors regular

Great point on the monitor, I'd totally get one but I currently hardly have any room so it's why I'm getting the 17" with that 1920x1200 res.

With the web app dev you do on eclipse and Xcode (I'm sure in addition to other things running), do you think i5 is fine or i7 would be a worthy upgrade?

15. cryer thread starter macrumors regular

I'm definitely leaning majorly on the antiglare side but is i5 really ok for what I do or would I miss the i7 for those tasks? Keep in mind I do web design and software dev with heavy Internet browsing and adobe apps as well as Xcode.

16. slicktor macrumors member

slicktor

I just got a 15" i5 mbp with the antiglare screen, I can tell you the antiglare screen is just awesome for any graphic/design work. Colours just seem to look more natural and of course the absence of glare is a definite plus:D

If you have the money go for the i7 but the i5 runs all my adobe apps great! I think the difference is too minute to spot. The money can be better spent on other things you need.

17. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Recommend 17 inch, 15 hi res will be all good~ up to you
    However, Anti Glare is a MUST HAVE!!! :D