What do you guys think about the new Unibody Polycarbonate MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Alvi, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

This thread especially goes to owner of it, i can't really afford a pro and you currently get better specs than the Pro for 200$ Less, Does it really scratch that bad? Did you had any issues with it?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

better specs? with no firewire, no SD slot, etc.

3. macandipodfan macrumors member

How about the $999 refurbished Macbook Pro?

I can't see buying the white Macbook when you could get a much better Pro for the same price. With Apple, refurbished is just like new.

EDIT: They don't have it in stock right now, but if you check each day they'll get it in stock soon.

4. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Spent some time in an apple store this weekend. Very disappointed in the heat generated by the pro when compared to the macbook white. (sales guy told me it ws due to lights over head...LOL)

You can get a SD reader for $4. Firewire is either something u have used or not.

Only reason I see to go pro is if you need the backlit keyboard.

Apple refurb had the base pro on their site for about a couple of hours this morning. First time I've seen them in awhile. White was $849; there most of the day but gone now.

5. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Or will need when your computer dies so that you can use Target Disk Mode.

6. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

No idea why i would pay 200$ more to plan the death of my computer, who buys a computer and already thinks for when it dies!?
    You can take the hard drive out very easily and plug it into a case and you're done

EDIT: What i ment with better specs is a better hard-drive which i care much more than a firewire or no firewire

7. macandipodfan macrumors member

The main gripe I have with the white Macbook is that the casing isn't very good -- tends to get scratches and to crack easily.

8. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I'd buy one with the idea that i won't use it as a football, and that could save me some bucks :p

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My father in law has one and he loves it. I think it's a great deal and a good looking laptop. Like others said, look at Apple's refurbished store also for deals.

10. thedanofsteel macrumors newbie

I don't know if you have a Micro Center near you. They are running a special on the white MacBook. You get a $200 Visa gift card after rebate. That makes it more enticing. I actually bought an open box from them the other night for another $100 off. So after tax and rebate for me it's $777. You may be able to purchase online as well.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

They are very nice. Great everyday computer and very durable.

12. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Much more durable than the old non-unibody white macbooks. You'll enjoy it immensely :) Go for the white one. If somebody says you can get a refurb MBP... Then you can also get a refurb unibody Whitebook. So go for the whitebook!

13. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

My main reason to get the MB is that you get a bigger hard drive, and even with the MB I'm already a bit over my budget (wanted to get a Mac Mini) but i think a MacBook is twice a computer than the Mini because if you think about it, just getting a screen, Apple Keyboard, Magic Mouse and speakers goes to MBP prices, and i think that a Mini with a 10$ Windows keyboard is something very sad, so i better get for a few hundreds more a MB... I also like MB's better than the Mini since as far as i see, they're way easier to upgrade

14. bsblvnv macrumors regular

Definitely easier to upgrade, I bought mine two weeks ago. One of the first thing I did was upgrade from 2 to 4gb of Ram.

I am pretty careful with it and I am a clean freak when it comes to my stuff, and I have already noticed a few light scratches on the top of the case and the bottom mat gets dirty pretty easily. Other than that this is by far the best laptop I have ever had.

And on the firewire, if your computer does die, you can boot from a usb flash drive or an external. All of the new intel Macs will boot from USB or from firewire.

15. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

So does the macbook really scratch that badly? :confused:

I'm thinking about getting one..

16. bsblvnv macrumors regular

Like I said if you take care of it, it's not that bad. But it will definitely happen. If you can't deal with the scratches get a MBP, sometimes you can even get the refurbs for the same price as MB at the online store.

17. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Do you think a case would be best?

For me, it's not really the price difference that matters. I like the look/specs of the macbook better but I want it to continue to look nice- even though of course I know it won't stay perfect forever.

18. Lesstaf macrumors newbie

Hmm, I looked for it like a birthday gift for my wife ( shes like it prertty much), but not sure about it yet :(

19. bsblvnv macrumors regular

If you get the case you are still going to have the problem with dirt and dust getting in there and that is what causes most of the scratches anyways, I am pretty sure that you wont take a set of keys and try to scratch the hell out of it, but if you did with the InvisibleSheild (made by Zagg btw) or the BodyGuardz on it, you wouldn't even scratch the surface. I have the InvisibleSheild on my iPhone and it still looks like the day it came out of the Apple store.

So short answer get the coating. Why would you want to cover this beauty up with a case anyways.

20. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I was thinking something along the lines of a clear case but you're right. I will consider one of those coatings if/when I get a macbook.