What do you guys think I could get for a cracked working iPhone on eBay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, May 29, 2008.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Picture of iPhone in question is attached. Do you guys think that if I unlocked it, threw in everything that originally came with the iPhone plus a brand new Marware Sidewinder holster and an extra iPhone USB cable, that I could get at least 200$ for it on eBay? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to eBay (going to use a friends account to post it up) so I'm just dropping this out there for any of you more experienced then I am. Also, everything still works with the phone and the touchscreen input responses were unaffected in anyway by the crack. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. myusername macrumors member

myusername

Swap @ Apple

Apple will sell an out of warranty iPhone for $249.00. Unless it's unlocked or shows signs of hacking. They might be nice and cover the replacement cost.

Try that if you want to keep an iPhone.

-r

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

1) I'm surprised you got it that cracked.

2) I'm even more surprised that nothing's affected by that crack.

Hmm, $200? I'm not sure if I'd buy it for $200. Seems pretty intensive. Maybe $150.

Oh yeah, you never said the memory capacity.

4. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

just out of curiosity, how the **** did you do that?!?!?

5. Bmizz macrumors member

+1, and out of more curiosity why would anyone want to pay for a cracked up phone period?

6. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Long story short, I had the first generation of the Marware Sidewinder (http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/iPhone-Products/Sidewinder-for-iPhone) before they realized it had a flaw that let iPhones loose at will. Going to go see Iron Man, I was running down some concrete stairs when the phone flew off holster and unto the concrete. Picked it up to see that. Contacted Marware. They were EXTREMELY helpful and attentive and as soon as I proved that I owned the iPhone and really bought their Sidewinder, they shipped out a 250$ money order (will recieve tomm). That of course is for replacing it at the Apple Store. But, with the 3G iPhone so close to coming out, I don't want to do that. I want to sell this on eBay (please give me an estimate of what you think its worth guys, seriously) and then use the money from that plus the 250$ to buy the 3G iPhone.

I would drive down to the Apple Store and pick up a refurbished one and then sell that one, but the nearest Apple Store to me is 60 miles away. Doing quick math knowing my trucks fuel efficiency, that'll cost me 40$ round trip of gas so.....

Anyway, guys, seriously, for all the stuff I listed, just gimme an estimate of what you think its worth considering it still works completely. I wish eBay had a "Sold Past" listing so I can see what former cracked iPhones have sold for but unfortunately they don't. Thanks guys.

7. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

That was going to be my question, but there seems to be a market for just about everything.

8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

well depending on the capacity, the most you could probably sell it for would be retail minus $250, since that's what it'll cost to get it in new condition. That's assuming the iPhone is otherwise perfect and comes with everything. So I'd guess $150, tops.

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Sneaky. XD.

Yup, I'd stand by that.

Oh yeah, take off another $50 cause it's used...even though $250 restores it, the fact that it's OTB lowers it.

10. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

It's an 8gb....Hell, I'm wondering now if I should just eat the 40$ cost and drive down to the Apple Store and pay the 250$ to get a refurbished one.....150$ is definently not what I was hoping for...

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Take it to Apple, get it replaced/repaired for $250, then sell it on eBay for $400 on up.

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yep, just unlock/jailbreak it and you're good to go

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

14. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Unless he gets it replaced, he risks getting less than it's worth because he'll be selling so close to the release.

That said, I also don't see anyone who is sharp enough to be looking for deals on iPhones purchasing a damaged one this close to release, either.

15. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I don't know anyone that actually knows that there's going to be another iPhone.

16. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

You're kidding... put yourself in your potential buyer's shoes. How much would YOU pay for it. It's freaking cracked. Give me a break. Put it on EBay and get what you can for it. I wouldn't expect much, honestly.

17. Red Sox macrumors regular

A buddy of mine found a cracked iPhone in a parking lot. It looked like it had been run over by a car. It would turn on, but it was stuck on the "Connect to iTunes" screen, and I tried everything to try and restore it, and couldn't. So, it was cracked, bricked, and dented up, and I still managed to get $185 for it on ebay this morning.

18. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Sold it for 270$ on eBay...Awesome. This, combined with the 250$ I got from Marware, is more than enough to get a 3G iPhone