what do you guys think! I want opinions!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Mar 7, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

:eek:

OK, I have been in the planning stages of opening a small electronics store on ebay for 2 years(atleast) and now have legit suppliers for game consoles and out favorite, iPods. I was wandering, what do you guys think about opening stores like this on ebay?

I have faith in it and am trying hard to stay focused and all that is left now is the initial money to get started and buy mt first lot, about 2k~:D

so what do you guys think about this?

this is more directed toward adults that have had businesses or worked for small businesses/ stores. I just want to hear what you guys have to say.

Greg:apple:

2. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i dont really know anything about this stuff.. but it seems like small electronics and ipods and stuff are widely available at some pretty low prices at places with bigger names.. so heres a thought: what are the reasons your store would stand out and why would people buy from you first? good luck with whatever you end up doing!

3. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

do you think what I am saying is possible?:confused:.

my store will stick out with .99 cent no reserve auctions on high end items, they sale them selves on ebay which take a big load of the work off.

I read an article about a company though called blue bay electronics on wholesaler mag and they are in franklin, tn and started like me but now o over a million in sales a month.

its all about reinvesting the profits to help grow your inventory, because it sales it's self.

thanks!
    Greg

4. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to offend, just an honest observation in reference to the OP's question.

I'm sorry, but with grammar such as this I would have a hard time believing your store would be much of a success. I know I steer clear of auctions that are full of mistakes because I feel that if the person can't take the time to get their listing correct, how can I trust them to get the rest of the transaction finished properly? Now, maybe you were just typing fast and I could forgive some simple typos, but "they sale them selves" and "it sales it's self"? Hell, that's not even English.

Now, to answer the original question, I do believe you could make this successful if you make sure all of the following conditions are met:

- You are able to buy products that are in demand at a low enough price that you can sell them at least 5-10% under Amazon's price (including shipping)
    - You don't try to be one of the eBay ***holes that sell an item for $1.00 and charge $25 for shipping
    - You spend some time selling small ticket items to build your feedback rating before going after big ticket items
    - Charge a FAIR shipping price
    - Ship FAST. Next business day after auction closes
    - Accept PayPal
    - Use proper English in item descriptions, and SPELLCHECK!!!!
    - Use an actual photo of the item, not a stock photo

I can probably think of some more, but I think this is good for now.

5. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

No dont forgive me! I am plain retarded.:D

but, thanks. Also, those are a lot of things I have taken, shipping fast and paypal are already done deals! and small ticket items are very true, I plan and gathering some of the money buy getting damaged units and reselling them after I repair them. make like 40 bucks profit on some things.

do you guy's think my idea is possible though?:eek::cool:

6. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I'd be very careful about fraud

both from your buyers and your suppliers. Ebay to me just seems like a really seedy place for mainstream items nowadays. Sad but true.

With an incredibly competitive marketplace your margins probably aren't going to be very high and all it takes is a couple of fraudsters to turn your profit into loss real quick.

Also, be sure your vendors are legit. You can lose a lot more than money if its found out that you are dealing in fenced goods.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

7. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

:p whats is fenced goods? stolen?

thanks for the good luck!

Greg

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

not only are you competing with hundreds on ebay, but you're also competing with thousands on the internet in general. You're not going to make any profit in electronics unless your purchase in massive quantities and sell them far below retail. I'd personally rather have a store on Amazon.com, than eBay.

If you decide to do it anyways -- don't be a d\ck and jack the shipping prices up. That's uncool.

9. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I will not jack up shipping. my items are store returned, like most on ebay. I an get xbox 360 premiums for less then 150 in quantities of 100. psp for less then 80 it quantity of 300, ps3 60GB for like less then 380 in quantities of ten.

look for your self but I can make 100 profit on 360. 30-80 profit on psp, and like 40-60 profit on ps3.

there is still iPods to which I can get.

these are mainly form other ebay sellers that purchased to much stuff to sale and want to get rid of it.

so there is profit.:cool::eek::eek::eek:

Greg.

P.s. has anyone on here owned a business or worked such a place?

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I have sold & bought a lot of stuff on ebay.
    As long as you go into it with your eyes opened you should be able to make a few bucks.
    Accept no certified Checks, Money orders.
    If the person wants you to contact him for a deal away from Ebay DONT.
    Ship same day or the next day.
    Do not ship to Nigeria, or other shady scammer countries.
    Keep it to USA, Canada & UK.
    Leave feedback & ask the buyers to do the same.
    Good Luck.

BTW Notice you are a drummer in Glendale.
    I Play Guitars & am looking to form a local band.
    Classic Rock/Metal, Heavy Blues vibe.
    Interested?

11. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I play hip hop and fast rock. just google travis barker :D. and my schedule will be way to hjfhsdfjlksdfhsdjgsdhgajdk to be playing in bands anymore.
    check craigslist, there are drummers there, usually they charge though, which I do not get at all!:confused::rolleyes::p

thanks for the info.

12. gmecca2 macrumors regular

You spoke for me IOWAMENSAN. When I read posts like this it makes me doubt they could run a successful business. Many of the FORBES 500 are not college educated but I am sure they know the importance of proper grammar usage. When I see an EBAY auction listing with poor grammar I immediately think it's a scam or bootleg item. Why you may ask? Well you tell me what pops in your head when you see one of those emails saying you are the recipient of a $1,000,000 inheritance with grammar errors. Do you know how many more people would probably be scammed if it used proper grammar? Probably a lot. It's the fact you received notice from a lawyer with spelling problems that made you delete the email.

Sorry- I don't mean to put you down.

Anyways- I am sure you could probably make some sort of secondary income selling electronics on eBay but don't expect to quit your day job. Also, how many items do you intend to buy with only $2k startup money.

How much profit can be made on a gaming system?

Best of luck to you in your business venture.

13. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

my BRAND NEW macbook keyboard is defective I think, possibly because my G4 powerbook never was like this,

But beside the fact of my macbook excuse,

here are some profit margins.

I an get xbox 360 premiums for less then 150 in quantities of 100. psp for less then 80 it quantity of 300, ps3 60GB for like less then 380 in quantities of ten.

look for your self but I can make 100 profit on 360. 30-80 profit on psp, and like 40-60 profit on ps3.

pretty good!

and I can buy 10 360 units for 187 shipped which is what I expect to buy/ start with.:eek:

14. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you are starting a business do not overlook your tax and legal obligations. Be sure to keep on top of the finance and make sure you have good systems in place for keeping organised. Selling the stuff on eBay is not the only thing you have to worry about.

Good Luck!

15. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Amazon has some good prices

Hellsing is $53 shipped directly from them.

Anime in general has gotten more affordable as of late. I picked up the whole cowboy bebop remix series directly from amazon for less than $40 as it was a new release and amazon aggressively discounts new releases.

I hadn't watched any anime in a while namely because I don't like going p2p and the dvds were so friggin' expensive compared to American stuff, but after seeing the prices as of late, I picked up Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain, and Blue Gender box sets, all for less than $50 each(with gold box discount)

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You gotta love Baron Von Tito! :D

17. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

hahahah do you listen to the aquabats??? there new drummer is endorsed by the same company as i want to be. SJC custom drums. I do not really like there music though...

like I said. do you?

18. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

deffinetly!!! thats the hardest part is keping legal. luckily, cousin's husband is a tax guy!! does George H.W. Bush's taxes for arizona. honest!

19. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Roping in friends and family with good business skills for advice is a good idea (mostly because you can pay them in beer).

I do quite like the Aquabats. I was more of a fan 5 or 6 years ago but I still bust out my old CDs from time to time. They are not particularly well known in the UK. A friend of mine went to see them here in Manchester and the band outnumbered the crowd!

20. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

that sucks for them!! ood for travis though. he deserves it. he is a very hard worker, work aholic actually!:rolleyes:

and I am 17. no beer here! ahah. But, I do have there support as I have shown them what I know and they were blown!!:eek:

21. gmecca2 macrumors regular

Sounds like some decent profit margins. If you have the capital to start the business I say go for it. Start with a small lot of a couple items, see how you do and then go from there.

22. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Off Topic but...

SJC? Eww. Their sets all sound the same, and not so good. I prefer a CC or non-custom kit to SJC, though they are very sexy kits.