What do you guys think is the problem with my Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FullMetalx117, Apr 11, 2012.

1. FullMetalx117 macrumors regular

- I installed the OS and it was running perfectly. However, I had to restart the computer so the OS updates could take affect. When it was updating the macbook pro froze. I was forced to shut it off by holding the power button for 10 seconds. Then I tried to turn it back on, but it seemed the system was not booting so I decided to reinstall the hard drive. I reformatted the drive but now whenever I try to reinstall the OS the macbook freezes in the middle of the install so I am not able to successfully install the OS. I suspect this is a hard drive issue or the PRAM just needs to reset. What do you guys think? How much would it cost to go the problem?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

It is a mid 2010 model 13.3 inches 2.4ghz. Also I am using a snow leopard retail disc. I tried to reinstalls by holdin down c when it starts, reformatting the hard drive by erasing and just reinstalling it again.

4. simsaladimbamba

That disk will not work, as it does not include drivers for 2010 Macs. What about using your grey Restore DVD?

5. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't the retail version work with all versions of the Mac? I no longer have the grey restore discs. I did successfully install it once already but as I stated in the op the laptop froze while the updates were installing and then was not able to boot.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The retail discs never went past 10.6.3. They don't have the needed drivers for newer Macs.

7. simsaladimbamba

The 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD contains 10.6.3 (build 10D575) and was released March/April 2010. The 2010 MBPs were released on April 13th, 2010, and came with a special build of 10.6.3 (10D2125), thus the DVD might include those drivers, but probably doesn't.

What exact steps did you take this and the last time you tried to install? Be as precise as you can? Has anything changed in between?
    Have you a backup? Maybe even a bootable one?

8. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing has changed. It just randomly froze while new updates were installing when my is was already installed. I was forced to turn it off manually and then the computer wouldn't boot into the OS so I reformatted the hard drive going into disc utility through my install disc and reformatted to max extended journaled. Then I tried to reinstall again but when it eats half way done the computer freezes. I'm gonna try to install using external hard drive.