What do you guys think of this iPhone 5 design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mo25, Mar 29, 2011.

1. mo25 macrumors member

[​IMG]

I am personally loving it! The edge to edge design is amazing. The less benzel the better. And I love the THIN curved design on the back... and I've always hated curved designs.

2. Scottapotmas macrumors newbie

nice concept for an iPod touch. I can't see that thinness on the 5th gen though... maybe 7th when the electronics are smaller?

3. drummr macrumors regular

I don't like it, I never liked the curved backs of the 3g(s) and ipod touches. The best designs IMO were the iPhone 2g, the first ipod touch (with the black trim and flat metal back), and the iphone 4, all of which had flat backs. I think they should do something along the lines of the unibody macbook pros, I really like the look of those.

4. Sedrick, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

There's no room for the headphone jack, or, really, any other buttons. It's going to have to have some meat on the sides and that thing would rock like a cradle when you lay it down...

5. Padraig macrumors 6502a

It's not far off the first gen touch design. Besides it's far too thin for a phone concept not to mention it takes no account for antennae.

6. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Never liked tapered designs TBH, give me a square phone.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It looks horrible! Not to mention what the opthers are saying about jacks and edge mounted buttons. NO!:mad:

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

9. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

nah don't like it at all.
    just think of the wobble you would have when the phone is sitting on a desk/table.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's the Ginsu iPhone...the edges can cut a tomato!

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think it'd be slippery as a fish.

Not saying I don't find it appealing, just that I'd probably drop it within the hour of setting it up.

12. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I think it's a beautiful looking design from the pictured angles. There are the odd occasions where I find myself using the phone on a desktop surface, and a flat back works better for this, but it wouldn't put me off buying it. I'd be more interested to know how it feels in the hand. If the profile is more like a mouse (curving from top to bottom, but flatter from side to side) so the long edges are not sharp, it could be quite comfortable to hold. But you can't tell by seeing only a side profile.

13. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Personally I hope they go back to the 3GS Design, it was comfortable to hold, however they need to make it more durable. The iP4 is nice, but the fear of dropping it or scratching the glass always has me on the edge.

I do not think we will see much of a physical redesign this year, seems like Apple will stay with the iP4 design and maybe change the internal components, but we will see 6-6-2011

14. kidaquarius macrumors member

kidaquarius

Haha.
    Sharp enough to cut through this boot! Or this concrete block!

[delivered by an iPhone]

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Not bad, but way too thin.

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

That looks horrible. If the iPhone 5 ever did look like that I'd keep my iPhone 4. I'm not a big fan of cases and I prefer to have my phone naked. Pretty sure this phone would be like holding butter.

17. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

Same here. The 2G was built like a tank, love that phone. The 4, beautiful as it is, is a rather delicate flower.

18. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It has a nice look, but it's not at all functional. Like previously mentioned, there is no room for volume buttons, a headphone jack, or a sync port. Also, the dimensions of the screen are entirely different. That's not going to fly with app designers, as they will have to redesign their apps yet again.

19. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Make a new design?

that one's ugly, from the side view. the front is quite nice but it reminds me of the 3GS silver frame thing. should make it more like the iphone 4, not the 3GS. maybe its just my eyes, but wheres the facetime camera? as for the screen...i like it, i really hope the iphone gets a screen like this :) i think theres plenty of room for it.

basically....an iphone with the same design as the iphone 4, except with this screen :) other than that...i think the iphones design is good for now :) refresh it with a brand new design in 2012/2013!

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

21. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Really?.... My original iPhone's aluminum back was a scratch magnet! The back dented very easily. By no means did it last as long as my iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 I have used naked since day one, not babied it by anybody's standards, and there are maybe 2 visible scratches on the screen.

YMMV, but for me, the iPhone 4 has held up much better than any of the previous models.

22. clovis112 macrumors regular

where would you plug the headphones? its so thin on the edge..

i'm not feeling this design. sorry.

23. andrewr2123 macrumors member

So true!! This made me lmao!!